Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, Grandpa gave my Son His 1992 Buick leSabre, "creampuff" 126k orig. owner miles, titled in Az. My Son wants to sell it in Co. and cant pass the emissions test..... all my tricks have come up void.

Anyone know a "cheap" mechanic who could work on it and get it passed? Wadsworth and Bowles area....... thanks ahead....

·
Registered
910 Posts
sell it in the springs. No emissions tests there

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Well Well Well.. Emissions.. My favorite subject LOL

Just had to deal with my 1990 Civic HB not passing emissions... Didnt pass 2 years ago either LOL

HC = hydrocarbon

To much HC = Unburnt Fuel

Have you done all the typical stuff? (Oil Change, NEW air filter, Fresh plugs and wires) You would be surprised what a diff. that can make.

Are you running the lowest octane gas available? With the high altitude in Colorado the higher octane fuels don't fully burn and can cause high reading and even failures.

Also are you making sure the vehicle is FULLY warmed up before the inspection? Gotta make sure the cat converter is up to temp for it to work correctly.

What about Check Engine light?? Is the CEL on? if so could be a possible bad O2 sensor or MAF sensor. (On my civic the CEL never came on but my ECU was flashing a code to replace the main O2 Sensor.. once i replaced it I passed with flying colors)

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RVinson said:
Well Well Well.. Emissions.. My favorite subject LOL

Just had to deal with my 1990 Civic HB not passing emissions... Didnt pass 2 years ago either LOL

HC = hydrocarbon

To much HC = Unburnt Fuel

Have you done all the typical stuff? (Oil Change, NEW air filter, Fresh plugs and wires) You would be surprised what a diff. that can make.

Are you running the lowest octane gas available? With the high altitude in Colorado the higher octane fuels don't fully burn and can cause high reading and even failures.

Also are you making sure the vehicle is FULLY warmed up before the inspection? Gotta make sure the cat converter is up to temp for it to work correctly.

What about Check Engine light?? Is the CEL on? if so could be a possible bad O2 sensor or MAF sensor. (On my civic the CEL never came on but my ECU was flashing a code to replace the main O2 Sensor.. once i replaced it I passed with flying colors)
Yep, did it all but the plug wires........... Hc reads 4.1458; pass= less than 1.5; CO 165.88: pass 15 or less...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Hmmm.. Emissions issues suck LOL

Have the o2 sensors ever been replaced?

Also possibly the cat.converter.. if the car has been running rich it can accelerate the death of the cat.

So after looking at my actual emissions reports looks like i was actually passing HC 2 years ago. Pretty sure this year i was failing HC though

the 1st year i bought my civic i got it at a great deal because it wouldnt pass emissions... I replaced everything.. Cat Converter, plugs, wires, oil change, MAP sensor, Fuel pressure regulator.... just about everything i could think of.. and it still failed just as bad :(

So finally i just adjusted the Fuel Pressure down to 30 PSI from 40 PSI and passed.

Here is my results from the 1st time back 2 years ago... it shows the tests and what i did and then the results.. Not sure it will help at all:

So i actually wanted to go over the steps i did and the effects for future use on this forum:

Original test: Colorado Limits:

HC GPM- 0.9264 HC GPM- 2.0000

CO GPM- 32.8228 CO GPM- 20.0000

C02 GPM- 287.0914 C02 GPM- --------

Nox GPM- 0.9069 Nox GPM- 3.5000

Changed Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter , both 02 Sensors, PCV Valve, Spark Plugs, dist.Cap , Rotor, and put in 85 Octane gas instead of 91.

Second test: Colorado Limits:

HC GPM- 1.0237 HC GPM- 2.0000

CO GPM- 25.3574 CO GPM- 20.0000

C02 GPM- 243.3111 C02 GPM- --------

Nox GPM- 1.0020 Nox GPM- 3.5000

Changed out to a Brand new Bosal catalytic Converter and changed the stock Fuel Pressure regulator to one that can be adjusted and added a Fuel pressure Guage and set Fuel pressure to 40 PSI, Also changed oil again Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic 10W30

Third test: Colorado Limits:

HC GPM- 1.4863 HC GPM- 2.0000

CO GPM- 58.7409 CO GPM- 20.0000

C02 GPM- 187.0496 C02 GPM- --------

Nox GPM- 0.4843 Nox GPM- 3.5000

Adjusted Fuel pressure to 30 PSI from 40 PSI

Fourth test: Colorado Limits:

HC GPM- 1.0820 HC GPM- 1.2000

CO GPM- 12.6417 CO GPM- 15.0000

C02 GPM- 226.0923 C02 GPM- --------

Nox GPM- 1.2669 Nox GPM- 3.0000

Figured it would help to show all steps i took and the results i got after each adjustment. hopefully this post will be good info for people in the future.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks RV !! I, also, could go on about the ripoff that is emissions testing..... but I feel my blood pressure rising as I type this... BUT the employees there at the Ken Caryl location are just all so attentive and co-operative, and smiley and helpful..... and willing to show you the correct........... yeah, right..... what a farce! AND... no credit cards! PUKE !!!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Send Slayer a pm thats what he does for the state. He's a engineer for the emissions control department (who would of guessed he's smart) not me ;D. He dignosed my truck when no one else could and got it to pass.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If your CO is ok ....... an easy way to reduce hydrocarbons is to retard the ignition timming........ maybe 5 to 8 degrees.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
racer said:
If your CO is ok ....... an easy way to reduce hydrocarbons is to retard the ignition timming........ maybe 5 to 8 degrees.
This would have been my next step if i wouldn't have passed after replacing my 02 Sensors.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
What's an "emission.."?? ;D :D

D.J.

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
IFSHDOU2? said:
Yep, did it all but the plug wires........... Hc reads 4.1458; pass= less than 1.5; CO 165.88: pass 15 or less...
165 GMS/MILE of CO indicates a complete lack of fuel control. The engine is basically running full rich. O2 sensors probably,maybe computer, something major internally, such as broken valve, etc. Could be MANY things. Also running that rich can and will fry the catalytic convertor.

W

·
0 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
IFSHDOU2? said:
165 GMS/MILE of CO indicates a complete lack of fuel control. The engine is basically running full rich. O2 sensors probably,maybe computer, something major internally, such as broken valve, etc. Could be MANY things. Also running that rich can and will fry the catalytic convertor.
Ya, what he said. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts