Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
With no intention of stirring up a lot of animosity, let me say that, IMHO, your target price of $150 for your outfit is too low unless: a.) you only intend to shortline nymph the Poudre a couple of days a year, or b.) you have somebody else in mind to give the gear to later. Reason? It's based on false economy.

A $75 rod that you outgrow after a few days of fishing is no bargain compared to a $150 - $200 rod that has more applications (for different types of water) and that you can use forever (with a no-fault warranty, to boot).

· Registered
60 Posts
I think you're wise to pursue the "best rod you can afford" course. I still regularly use the first "good" graphite rod I bought about 15 years ago (about $200 then) and there've been several other rods added in the subsequent years.

As far as buying a "fast" rod (tip flex rather than a deeper flex down the rod), I don't know about that. But you're right, there are lots of opinions out there. It might be worth thinking about it this way: ALL rods are some kind of a compromise. While you might love that well designed tip flex rocket-launcher when you need to punch a 60'+ cast into a strong wind, you will be wishing for the softest, slowest noodle out there when you're playing a good fish on 6X tippet to protect that light terminal line. So maybe something in between will suit more conditions better.

It's hard to test cast rods when you're starting out, but that's the ideal. Try to find out what the repair costs will be on any rod you want to fish for years. The so-called "free replacement warranties" can seem a bit of a joke with excessive S&H charges. On the other hand, some mfr's who don't offer that warranty may charge nominal repair fees. Fly rods are fragile, it's worth it to ask about repair policy up front.

Good luck. There seem to be more good entry level rods out there now than ever. Temple Fork, Redington, St. Croix, Sage DS2 (they've been discontinued, but there are still some around) are worth looking at. I like the rod I built with a Cabelas SLi blank, have been underwhelmed with the rod I built from a FT blank -- so I'm not so sure that Cabelas offers any real value, but I admit my experience with them is limited.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.