Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
scottdog900
I started fly fishing with Cabela's Traditional Series rods a long time ago, they are a ok to start with, but you soon will realize the limitations (hard to load small size flies, not accurate). A few years ago I moved up to a Prestige Series rod (faster action) and that made a ton of difference. But, I have a very open stoke when casting, with the faster action rod combined with a very fine tippet, it was not very forgiving. Last week I received the PT Series, and oh MAN what a difference. The Moderate action is so forgiving and so easy to load. I can send a midge a mile away. The cost is a bit more, but very much well worth it. Purchase the combo that is the only way to go. Remember this is a very expensive hobby. 5wt, 9 foot, 2 or 3pc, is a good general size to start with. Be warned this is so addictive, in two years you will have every other weight rod and reel. Tons of little extras needed to be successful. Flies, leaders, tippet materials (in many different sizes), floatant + sinking chemicals, split shot, strike indicators, net, and ETC, ETC. The theme is that it takes some cash to get into this side of fishing. :eek: Well worth it once you commit!!!! Good Luck

· Registered
121 Posts
Take a day and drive to Cabela's Sidney, Nebraska Retail Store. 3-1/2 hours from Denver. They will really help you to pick out the correct gear, and accessories you will need to get started. That way you can actually check out the product and see for your self. They will create the hierarchy of product in the order which you need to purchase. I have dealt with cabela's warranty department with my XML rod which I broke, it took less then a week to get things fixed. I received a brand new rod. That is what I call service! :) I agree with bitafurnfeather, you will want a moderate action rod, you are consistantly using fine tippets out here in Colorado, and that type of action will help out big time.

· Registered
121 Posts
Yep there are some fly shops here in Colorado, few and far between. And yes, if you want to spend $1.50-2.00 on A fly, that is cool. Fly shops are dying because they do not tend to the beginning fisherman.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.