Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input on making a purchase. I'm need to compare the QF II vs. Clam 5600. My main concerns are:
2 man capacity, storage & transport size, i.e. will it fit in the trunk of my car w/ the backseat down? Time to set up? Easy to move on the ice? sled? ALL input would be appreciated. THX! I'm going to 11 mile or Clear Creek Res on Sunday. With or w/out a hut...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the 5600.

For to full size people plus gear it is perfectly sized (add another person and it gets crowed in my opinion). When I take it I am able to store all of my gear inside (with the exception of my Vexilar and auger, for obvious reasons). The entire unit folds up to be about 5' L, 2'8" W, and 8" H...so it should fit in most any vehicle with at least a five foot length clearance. I can tote additional gear on top of the folded unit which is nice for when a large group is going.

It is easy to pull on the snow and ice (even when set up), but an absolute hassle when there is no snow on the ground and you need to get to or from the lake. It takes less than a few minutes to set up and even less time to take down.

Maybe I will see you at the mile tomorrow...

·
Registered
230 Posts
i also have a 5600 and dont really like it. once it is set-up it is fine. the problems are: it is very heavy compared to others, dragging it sucks- the trap doors that open up will eventually break (Kajitan, if yours havent yet, they probably will) they are secured by some flimsy levers and when you drag it, it allows snow to get inside which causes more resistance against the ground. i built a frame that is on two skis and now it pulls easy and the frame lifts it up and makes loading it into the truck easier. it is a real bear to set-up in the wind, although i have figured out a couple tricks to this. getting the shell hooked around the pan and wind "proof" is also time consuming which causes you not to want to move once you get it set-up. you have to disassemble it to move very far. two people inside are close if you are both fishing with two rods each and i wouldnt recommend 3 people inside either, it is probably the best for having 4 lines in the water. i fish with a vex and an aqua-vu and have plenty of room by myself. as i said, once it is up, it is great but it has its problems...

Kajitan, why is your vex outside ? (sorry- not obvious to me, unless you mean the transducer- i put mine down a hole i am fishing in- never had a problem) are you pulling yours with a snow mobile ? i hated pulling mine before the ski frame. i usually go at least a 1/2 mile when i go out. have the trap doors on yours held together and how many times have you used it ? i had one lever break on me in about 6 inches of snow the first time i took it out.
Jigs

·
Registered
499 Posts
If I was you I would purchase the Eskimo. I own a Clam Trap (Yukon). The design is the same as the Quick Flip its just bigger in size. I have a buddy who owns a 5600 and loves it. However, you can't be as mobile in a traditional ice hut in comparison to one that flips over like the Eskimo and the Clam. Additionally, the 5600 is a bear to set up in the wind much like the Shappel 3000 I used to fish out of. On the other hand, my Clam sets up in no time whether there is wind or not. The key to ice fishing is being mobile in order to find the fish. If you like to drill a couple of holes and homestead then the 5600 is the model for you. If your like most avid coldfooters and understand the importance of being mobile the Quick Flip or a Clam is the only way to go. There is not much difference in an Eskimo or a Clam except the price. However, in my opinion I believe the Clam is a little bit better in quality. Of course, that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Eskimo Quickflip II and love it. Just the right size for a 2 man, IMHO. I haven't put in the seat - and won't. It adds more weight and I think a lawn chair is more comfortable anyway. I bring a couple of pieces of carpet remnants (maybe 2ft by 2 ft. This way I don't have to have my boots on the ice all day. Makes a big difference. I want to buy some black indoor/outdoor carpet for this purpose. I think it would make the tent darker and better for fishing. Good luck.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Hammer45

One product you might think about for your floor is the thick closed cell foam interlocking flooring that they make for garages...they sell it at Sam's Club it weighs nothing...it is two by two...pieces can interlock...it is about an inch thick...wont soak up water so you can be on your knees in front of the hole and it comes in black...it's $20 for a pack of 8 pieces I think...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts