Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monster Pike.....or..... Monster Lake Trout (Mackinaw)

If you only had one day and a good shot at either one of these fish...... which one would you choose?

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
The Doublment Twins, Ginger-MaryAnn? Hobie would take Mrs. Howell! Lakers/Pike...If you had only one day and those two to choose from...find a place that has both!!! :evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The Doublment Twins, Ginger-MaryAnn? Hobie would take Mrs. Howell! Lakers/Pike...If you had only one day and those two to choose from...find a place that has both!!! :evil::evil::evil:
I like the way you think!!!! I was gonna say; both.......

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Not even close...lake trout...the two tied tail to tail the lake trout would drag the pike around and drown it...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Well, I think it's kinda funny that folks wanna compare the "fight"... I mean wiper destroy both of em lb for lb (bluegill do too). However, if I had to choose, I would probably chose whichever was more active. The best times for both fish are not really at the same time. Now I know the big guns can catch either nearly year round, but during certain periods, your chances for good fishing are better, which usually makes my decision easier.

I am a better pike fisherman, and I love to fish for em, so I might pick pike, but my interest in lake trout is peaking, so things may change.

If we are talking about catching, I'll take musky over any of em.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Ice off is one of the best times of the year to catch lakers from shore. They'll be cruising shallow within casting distance, they're hungry and they like the cold temps. Pike will be within reach..but may have something other than eating on their minds and the water is a bit too cold for them to be really active. Given the choice, I'd choose to fish for lakers right now myself..

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
For me, Pike can give a good fight when the water temps are higher..fifty five to sixty five degrees. I like fishing for them just for the size and the teeth..Wiper same thing with the water temps..early spring wiper fights..not too impressive..later in the year. I love that first ripping run. Lakers...get them above ten pounds..and lb for lb when a wiper is done fighting...laying on it's side..a laker is just starting to get warmed up.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Hobie summed up the ice off decision for sure...

I think his theory on big wiper is off though, but mainly because there are so few wiper to compare to lakers in 10lb+... I have seen huge wiper fight for long periods... lakers too... but then you factor in the 20lb+ fish and the game changes... mainly because the numbers of 20lb wiper are almost non existent.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Lakers this time of the year...

I have caught wiper to 15lbs and lakers to 17lbs
Wiper would smoke the lakers no doubt about it. Although I haven't caught a ton of lakers over 10lbs, everyone I have caught a 8lb wiper would destroy it fight wise. Even in cold water.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, I think the difference is just in the way the fish fight..Entirely different. Lakers take their time..you get them close and they turn around and just go away again. For a long time you're not sure who's playing who..going to put a beating on your forearm. Wipers are track stars..sprinters..going full out from the time they're hooked until they're completely exhausted and they can't run anymore.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Lakers this time of the year...

I have caught wiper to 15lbs and lakers to 17lbs
Wiper would smoke the lakers no doubt about it. Although I haven't caught a ton of lakers over 10lbs, everyone I have caught a 8lb wiper would destroy it fight wise. Even in cold water.
Yeah, I've caught lakers to 32 lbs and wipers to 15/16..Over 100 lakers between twenty and thirty and several hundred wipers over ten..And, I've never had to fight a wiper for twenty minutes or more..

I like both battles...they just don't fight the same. It's a tough comparison because as said..I've never fought a twenty pound plus wiper...and, I know my feelings about the fight are skewed from fighting much larger lakers. When a laker gets over twenty five pounds or so..no more head shake..just nothing but power.

Like I mentioned ...I like both fights..they just don't fight the same.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts