Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those near centennial we finally have a source for ethanol free fuel for all of our carburetor fed engines. Location is on briarwood near havana. I had been going to brads conoco. This will save me a hour of driving!

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
We have a Murphy's (I think) getting build at the intersection of Hwy's 287 and 66

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here in Pa. we have issues with ethanol gas. The alcohol eats the rubber inside and damages the motor. I normally use non ethanol gas since only have a 9.9 and my lawnmower .

We sell something called ethanol shield that helps fix the problem. I use it in my vehicles since use more gas.They sell many aditives. They have a test to see if works. You take about 2 oz of water and put some of the additive in and stir. If mixes in its said to work and if it floats on top like oil it doesnt. You can get a gallon at think its Lowes or Home depot if google it online.

We have a lawnmower dealer who had so many warranty issues and now sell it to save problems since warranty doesnt cover that.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Here in Pa. we have issues with ethanol gas. The alcohol eats the rubber inside and damages the motor. I normally use non ethanol gas since only have a 9.9 and my lawnmower .

We sell something called ethanol shield that helps fix the problem. I use it in my vehicles since use more gas.They sell many aditives. They have a test to see if works. You take about 2 oz of water and put some of the additive in and stir. If mixes in its said to work and if it floats on top like oil it doesnt. You can get a gallon at think its Lowes or Home depot if google it online.

We have a lawnmower dealer who had so many warranty issues and now sell it to save problems since warranty doesnt cover that.
I've had bad luck with fuel lines and ethanol also -- some people say that's a myth. ::) I say they've been lucky so far.

You can buy ethanol free gas now in cans at the small motor repair shops like Total Power on S. Broadway. (They also sell ethanol free premix 40:1 and 50:1 in cans for 2 strokes if you only need a small amount and don't want to bother to mix gas/oil yourself). If you use the cans they'll guarantee no gummy carbs in the spring! Kind of expensive to run all the time but you can use it as a last tank for weedeater, snowblower, ice auger etc. at the end of the season. :)

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
I been running pump gas in my old snowmobiles, of which I now have only 8 left. 1980s technology and rubber. Never had a problem. My 1991 Strikemaster still runs fine always used whatever gas in it. No problems.

It's a MYTH.

or, it's simply poor maintenance!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The gals at the Pueblo marina told me it is now law that it has have 10% Ethanol? I used to be able to get non ethanol there, but no longer. Every time i fill my boat I add Stabil to it.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
The gals at the Pueblo marina told me it is now law that it has have 10% Ethanol? I used to be able to get non ethanol there, but no longer. Every time i fill my boat I add Stabil to it.
Dude. It won't hurt a thing. Reeeeelaaaaax!:D

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
You can still get pure gas if you know where to look (like at the website/app listed here). The marina people don't know what they are talking about.

I'd say the same about people that say it won't hurt anything. It will gum up carbs, and break down hoses (if they weren't built for the stuff). Nothing really good about it (other than for those that benefit from the subsidies).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
This is wrong, sir! Ethanol, which is alcohol, will actually CLEAN deposits from your carbonators.

You have bought into the hysteria.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_problems_damage.html
I try not to run it in my boat, I buy ethanol free when possible. the shelf life of the stuff is short and absorbs water. don Weed on BBC board who I highly respect and is master merc mechanic recommends not using ethanol fuel if possible, I trust his opinion . I do agree proper maintenance is a bigger problem, most people just don't do it and let old fuel sit in engines without stabill for months, not good.
btw adding stabill after fuel is old and **** does not fix it lol, allot of people think it will.
http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=21733

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
On my 3rd boat now, never had any fuel related problems. I add Stabil b4 I put her away for winter.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it. But for me spending a little extra on maintenance and Stabil is no big deal. I have to much invested in my business to take any chances. I had my boat out almost 100 days this year so gas doesn't sit in it very long anyways!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
It will gum up carbs, and break down hoses (if they weren't built for the stuff).
This is wrong, sir! Ethanol, which is alcohol, will actually CLEAN deposits from your carbonators.

You have bought into the hysteria.
BM is kinds of right... just in the wrong order.

Ethanol can break down hoses (fuel line) if it wasn't built for the stuff and the breakdown will gum up (clog) the carbs.

I think newer fuel line is fine with ethanol but older line decomposes. It can get nasty.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
If you are using hysteria as a synonym for science, then yes I have fallen for that.

Non-ethanol fuel can have a shelf life of a year. Ethanol, maybe 3 months.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Thats all fine and dandy. I'm simply posting my experience with E-10 fuels. Not only do I have 8 Vintage snowmobiles running fine on E-10, I have bought, fixed, and sold 10 others running fine on E-10. I have a Strikemaster from 1991 runs fine on E-10. All my lawnmowers thru the years, my boats, my dirtbikes never have had any trouble relating to using E-10 fuels. I actually rebuild these things, maintain, and tune them.

I still state that the problems stem from poor maintenence rather than the fuel type. You guys can run around screaming the sky is falling if you wish. It just isn't so-

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Thats all fine and dandy. I'm simply posting my experience with E-10 fuels. Not only do I have 8 Vintage snowmobiles running fine on E-10, I have bought, fixed, and sold 10 others running fine on E-10. I have a Strikemaster from 1991 runs fine on E-10. All my lawnmowers thru the years, my boats, my dirtbikes never have had any trouble relating to using E-10 fuels. I actually rebuild these things, maintain, and tune them.

I still state that the problems stem from poor maintenence rather than the fuel type. You guys can run around screaming the sky is falling if you wish. It just isn't so-
I've had old fuel line fall apart into gooey black gum right in my fingers on many occasions. It's easy to blame the Ethanol but maybe it could be the Stabil or Seafoam that was added at the end of each season for storage, or just maybe old age. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts