Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if you can still purchase gas without ETHANOL in it. AND where? Haven't really paid attention when I fill up, but is all of our gas mixed with ethanol?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I remember when 4% was a big deal on the news and ppl were mad. Soon we'll be paying $5 a gallon for glorified Everclear.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have read the ethanol in fuel is really hard on high pressure injection outboards. Gums up the injectors apparently, any body know more about this?

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
anything over 10% will be noticeable, most of what we get now is between 3&7%, by 2013 the max. will go up to !5%, that is when it will start to do damage to outboards, i am told. the engine will run ok it you change your gas tank to stainless steel. from 10% to 15% it will start melting the inside of fiberglass and plastic tanks. if you don't want to change till your tank starts leaking you can put a special filter in your line that you will have to change evert 50 hours or it will plug up. it also will dry rubber lines and make them crack, same with the (o) rings in your carb. they say that older cars and trucks will have a problem after 2013. at this point they can't make enough ethanol to test over 7%

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
walleye seeker said:
anything over 10% will be noticeable, most of what we get now is between 3&7%, by 2013 the max. will go up to !5%, that is when it will start to do damage to outboards, i am told. the engine will run ok it you change your gas tank to stainless steel. from 10% to 15% it will start melting the inside of fiberglass and plastic tanks. if you don't want to change till your tank starts leaking you can put a special filter in your line that you will have to change evert 50 hours or it will plug up. it also will dry rubber lines and make them crack, same with the (o) rings in your carb. they say that older cars and trucks will have a problem after 2013. at this point they can't make enough ethanol to test over 7%
Great :p

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Don't you just love supporting a government subsidized fuel alternative that will ruin your engine and raise your grocery bill?

·
Registered
844 Posts
The whole mid west is drinking the ethanol kool aid. I was back there last month and people I had known for years jumped my ass for bad mouthing the ethanol subsidies and the gov policy.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Blowfish said:
Don't you just love supporting a government subsidized fuel alternative that will ruin your engine and raise your grocery bill?
No, not really. Stop paying out crap loads of money to corn growers to be made into ethanol, and the price of anything made with corn will go down,..not to mention the returning of fields to prairie grass and CRP, which helps a lot of wildlife and water control. This is a touchy subject, and only my opinion.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
viking said:
Blowfish said:
No, not really. Stop paying out crap loads of money to corn growers to be made into ethanol, and the price of anything made with corn will go down,..not to mention the returning of fields to prairie grass and CRP, which helps a lot of wildlife and water control. This is a touchy subject, and only my opinion.
Viking,

I hope you and Unrepentant's views on this subject become more mainstream...I am sick of us subsidizing so many damn programs...When will a majority(regardless of political party) step up and quit drinking at the government well?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Boy, the only place I can think of that I've been to in the winter to find ethanol-free gas is hubby's friend's place in Gunnison. He pays a pretty penny for it, too. Don't know if he still does.

What they don't tell you is that added ethanol *KILLS* your gas mileage too. Flex-fuel vehicles get atrocious mileage when you run them on alcohol. Even 'super-efficient' vehicles don't get that outrageous mileage when you try to run them on fermented sugar.

Gee, and I thought you put sugar in an engine to stop it from running. Boy, ferment the stuff and gee... it's some kind of messed up 'wonder fuel'...

And to think of all those capped wells in places like Texas that got that way when OPEC wanted all America's business... put tens of thousands of Americans out of work... now OPEC has America basically by the [email protected] and does whatever it deems fair at the moment.

Corn should be grown to feed animals and people. Converting corn into alcohol to be used for fuel actually costs more than what it does to refine crude into gasoline. Because the fuel expense involved in harvesting, transporting, and actually doing all the work, not to mention the time involved... geez.

Just plain evil IMO... ::) ::) ::)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ethanol is the perfect example of the alternative fuels boondoggle that our gov is forcing upon us and yes when the math is done I think it cost 125% of its value to produce.
I wish someone would put the same pencil to wind and solar as well.
That 125% is using imported oil, if we used our own and had refinery capacity it would probably be more like 150%
Even the Jolly Green Knothead Al Gore admitted ethanol was a failure and only a political grandstanding.

·
Registered
68 Posts
fishingal said:
Corn should be grown to feed animals and people.
There is acutally more of a demand for distillers grain, corn after it has went through the process of being used for ethanol, than regular field corn. There is a higher FV of it, it feeds better, and it's cheaper. So the point of "we don't have enough corn to eat" isn't right.

lucky7 said:
viking said:
Blowfish said:
Viking,

I hope you and Unrepentant's views on this subject become more mainstream...I am sick of us subsidizing so many damn programs...When will a majority(regardless of political party) step up and quit drinking at the government well?
How much money makes it to the farmers/producers pockets? There are a lot of other programs in the farm bill besides direct payments.

I'm no economist but if the gov stops paying "crap loads of money" to producers think the corn price will go
down?

Do you know what Americans pay for groceries compared to other countries? Its pretty cheap.

I think there are a lot of non-farming companies/individuals who don't need the subs but are getting around the system.

I have a dog in this fight so my opinion is biased. I don't think the system we have now is right, or even close. There is a lot of wastefull money in this and many other programs. But if you think I am sitting here milking the gov for "crap loads of money" you are very uninformed.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BUT, anyway, aside from this discourse on corn growers and Gvt. subsidies, ..... can you buy ETHANOL free anywhere on the Southwest side of town???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts