Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright all you Euro Nymphers- looking for your rod recommendations based on what you have fished. Don't worry about price, I'm focusing on the experience. Personally I'm wanting to land a 10'6" 3wt. Hopefully the holiday sales time won't disappoint.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What is that a 5 piece fly rod? :)
Typically, it's a 10-12ft rod with a soft/supple tip and fast action. Most rods are 2-4 wt and are specifically designed for this. Probably the most commonly known rods are: the Cortland Competition Nymph Rod, Sage ESN, Echo Shadow II, and Redington Hydrogen (certain models).

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Hardy Zenith is the nicest euro nymph rod I ever fished. I think 10' is plenty but some would definitely disagree. I also think that the sage one is a great rod for it, but I'm not sure they make a 10' 3wt... they made a 10' 4wt I believe.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I am thinking about picking up a Tenkara rod for nymphing this winter and streams and small rivers. Not having guides to ice up in the cold on the home water will be nice. The extra length will be great for the 4 months of high sticking to come.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I am thinking about picking up a Tenkara rod for nymphing this winter and streams and small rivers. Not having guides to ice up in the cold on the home water will be nice. The extra length will be great for the 4 months of high sticking to come.
Bugz, If you are ever in Pueblo, stop by The Drift fly shop. Alex Zipp is the owner and he has a couple Tankara rods that he will let you demo. He also sells them. Good dude, good shop.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Bugz, If you are ever in Pueblo, stop by The Drift fly shop. Alex Zipp is the owner and he has a couple Tankara rods that he will let you demo. He also sells them. Good dude, good shop.
Yep

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The Drift is a great shop. Cat is cool as hell and Winston is Da Man. I have not been south of Denver since moved to the Fort. But i think I will be making a trip or too this winter to fish P-lo.:smile: Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Drift is a great shop. Cat is cool as hell and Winston is Da Man. I have not been south of Denver since moved to the Fort. But i think I will be making a trip or too this winter to fish P-lo.:smile: Thanks for the heads up.

Check out Zen Fly Fishing Gear for tenkara. Their Baichi rod has a soft tip with fast and stiffer body- perfect for nymphing. It also zooms from 9ft to 11ft so you can fish in 2 positions. If they're sold out, contact them, they are based out of Northern CO.

Cortland Line is supposed to come out with a new version of their Competition Nymph Rods for 2017. I think I will wait for those to hit before purchasing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up purchasing a Syndicate Pipeline Pro (P2) 11ft 2wt. I have not fished it yet, but I can tell you it has an extremely supple tip. Euro nymph rods are the only type of rods this company makes. I'll have a formal review once I get a few days with it on the water. It seems like my hook up rate will increase given this type of system's set up and that supple tip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts