Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear this thing is going to be the death of me. I was previously so happy with my 2002 Saturn L200 sedan. Not so much anymore. :(

Just in the last 6 months - broken serpentine belt - replaced with new belt and tensioner.

Then emergency trip out of state - air conditioner *seizes* right in the middle of August, most of central US is in 'heat emergency' and it's the 'most common engine block configuration that GM makes' - took over a week to fix - missed work the whole time. UGH! Had to beg to burn most of my vacation pay.
(Oh, the reason why serp. belt broke - failing A/C - had to replace that too, again)

Got the stupid car paid off, then went in had new shocks and struts, bought new tires (old ones were BALD). Had overdue 100K service too.

Then the solenoid at the bottom of the lock cylinder fried. There was ONLY ONE LEFT in US in Calif. Fifteen phone calls, more than $500, and a week later, got that fixed.

Have had power problems since. Had car diagnosed multiple times. Couldn't find problem. Lost power constantly. Made driving in mountains nearly intolerable.

Sending unit and fuel pump failed after that. Don't get me started. That stupid 'sending unit' is more fragile than sensitive medical equipment and is $150... ugh. (Went through this whole fiasco two years ago - put a used one in then - but sending units just suck)

Now it's the F*ing catalytic converter that's toast. Apparently that was causing the power problem.

I'm never buying a lease-return GM car ever again. What was I thinking six years ago?!?

If this thing had been a horse, we'd have shot it years ago.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Oh Boy I got one I would love to load up with Dynamite

It is a 2001 Sebring,,, and it sqweelllsss like a pig. I have changed the pulley system 3 times now and it stops for a few months and comes back, it is embarassing to drive it gets so damn noisy....

We could pick a time and place to pile them up and watch the show.... >:D

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
A Saturn AND a lease return no less. Double freekin whammy.

Havent you ever driven a rental? Everybody drives 'em like they stole 'em! :D

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Buy a Toyota. They last almost forever! I have 2. A Sequoia for my wife with 170,000 on it and a old 4-Runner for me. It also just went over 170K. I just put a steering box in my 4runner, other than that nothing. The great thing is that I bought it for 2k almost 4 yrs ago. If ya keep oil in them, they will last forever! ;)

Sorry to hear of the trouble you're having.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
With regular maintenence, I had a 94 saturn sl2 that made it through to last year. :eek:

mileage stopped 3 years before I traded it in at 179,974. Had well over 200,000 miles on it.

Was a great car, but I believe early 90s was when saturn just came into the market and actually made a quality product.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Holy cow can I relate to this.. I feel for ya'.

Mine is a Jeep though...

First day I bought it... I found out it needed a new ignition put it, because, the one in it could be started without a key (which I didn't know, until I knocked the key out by accident and didn't realize it, so naturally I go to start it....and it kicked over with out the key).

Little later it is having a lot of problems with maintaining a consistent idle..& acceleration. Problem: yeah, the carburetor is shot. So that had to be rebuilt.

Next thing, before I went hunting last year...I noticed the emergency brake wasn't holding as well as it should right? Simple enough, tighten it up (yeah right). So anyway the front brakes were shot..in the process I learn that the bearings were worn, steering shock was loose, geezz..I don't even remember off hand what else: but it was like four things wrong with it...and it wasn't cheep. So I got that fixed after the hunting trip.

Okay, here is a real dumb one..it had a nice paint job right? So we're putting the hard top back on since it was getting to be cooler; had a screwdriver in my hand...yes, I slipped and chipped/scratched the paint job.

You think I'm done right...haha sure. So this really cold day I'm meeting death_from_below to go duck hunting in his boat. So that's all good, we go hunting..(of course he ruins his prop in the process...but that's another story). Get back..it's getting late, he backs down the trailer, and the boat won't start. So we just pull the boat on his trailer...but the battery is so far gone that it won't lift the motor. So we fumble in the @ss freezing cold air, I'm in the water with my bro, to try and manually lift the thing: it doesn't work. So I go get my Jeep, drive it down the boat ramp, and jump the boat. Everything is going dandy now.. So I proceed to back up the ramp, bout' halfway up I feel this massive jerk.. I'm thinking "oh s***..," I hit something right? Nope..then I'm thinking "oh c***" the transmission just went out...on the Pueblo North Boat Ramp. Actually nope, because I can still shift gears..but it is grinding like an S.O.B.. So I leave it in the parking lot for the night.. Next day we try to tow it, can't because on the grinding, so I have to get it towed. Long story short, the person who put in the front lockers forgot to tighten every one of the ten bolts...one backed out...and got cycled through the gear box. That was a pretty expensive to repair, not to mention another bearing (believe that one was in the transfer-case) had to be replaced.

So after a new front end, it is doing so well right? Haha..d*** thing had some other minor problems with the radio..heater..battery died..starter is getting weak. Stuff like that.

Latest thing was (and this one is just plain ridicules) as I was driving on one of those real windy days; the hood popped open & slammed into the roof. Completely ruined a nicely painted hood..air brush design..etc. Luckily it didn't crack my windshield..or cause me to get into a serious wreck. So now I have to paint a new hood..and the Jeep.

Soo yes, I understand the feeling of wanting to throw a couple sticks of dynamite in it and just watch it burn....over a couple drinks toasting its roasting adieu. :D

D.J.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, you guys can bash me over my stupid 2002. But I do have a 95 SL1 that still runs great. Hubby has it now. Rolled it off the lot with about 11 miles on it (transported from Saturn North to Saturn of Aurora when the Aurora store was still being run out of a double-wide...)

Any recommends on a good muffler shop that will install a customer-supplied part?

(BTW: Hubby is pretty insistent we're going to get a F-150 one of these days. I'm comfortable driving a Ranger (dad had one), but I'm not a 'big truck' kind of girl. Felt like I was driving a boat when driving a friend's Navigator a few years ago... just felt like a boat with a full livewell that I couldn't get on plane!)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
djfisherman2 said:
Mine is a Jeep though...
Just Empty Every Pocket! I love my Jeeps, but when you start tinkering with them... get ready, it is an ongoing hobby/chore.

What are you doing painting a jeep with a locked front anyway? Lockers are for wheelin not show rigs. Real Jeeps have Rocky Mtn Pinstripes anyway.

;D

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I like spending money on my two 94 wagons. Then I can brag about all my new parts to the people on the street with newer cars.
Last week my mechanical fan tensioner died. Runs fine with only the electrical fan and its get 2 MPG better with out spinning the fan.
Don't forget the cheap insurance on old paid for vehicles.
Wife said Puppy piss doesn't smell in my wagon. Try that in a new one.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
FishLip said:
djfisherman2 said:
Mine is a Jeep though...
Just Empty Every Pocket! I love my Jeeps, but when you start tinkering with them... get ready, it is an ongoing hobby/chore.

What are you doing painting a jeep with a locked front anyway? Lockers are for wheelin not show rigs. Real Jeeps have Rocky Mtn Pinstripes anyway.

;D
I'm starting to discover that (about emptying the pockets!). The largest problem with this Jeep is the woman (I won't use other words) did everything cosmetic to the Jeep...and it ran super well/everything checked out good. But once I started driving it for awhile, I started to get the feel she just didn't take care of it internally. Fixed it up nice to sell though.

As far as painting..I figure since the hood has to be painted anyways, mine as well do the Jeep a color scheme I like.

D.J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts