Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all the fish-repelling scents, human odor might be the most offensive. The amino acid L-serine, which is present in human skin, is the culprit. Some people have a greater quantity than others, and that might explain, to a small degree, why some anglers catch more fish. Just handling lures or bait can transfer the amino acid, possibly affecting their fish-catching qualities.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not my quote for the record.

I'm a fish catching old fart.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
L-Serine has largely been discredited as an offensive odor to most species of fish, last I knew. Certain salmonids are repelled by it to a degree, but it is not the booger-bear it was once thought to be.

Gas either, for what it is worth. We really do think too much sometimes.

The one thing that you absolutely, positively DO NOT WANT to get on your lures is DEET. Any bug spray with DEET will repel fish as well (and most likely better) as it will insects. Actually, the NAVY is investigating the use of DEET as a shark repellant.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Oh man. .... and I was thinking if I just get back to smoking I could catch some fish. ...

I would kinda think after a while of fishing scents would ware off a lure for the most part? I read to wash lures in salt to eliminate oder...

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I think my success rate has improved a bit since I quit chewing 5 years ago. Not having to pinch that juicy tobacco and handle lures while tying seems to have helped a bit.......plus my mouth and wallet are happier.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a buddy who uses rubber gloves when he touches his lures, but I still out fish him lol, maybe the like the smell of the kickass home made jerkey smell on my hands

·
Registered
484 Posts
Years ago while bank fishing on a small reservoir in Oregon I watched a youngster catch fish after fish while no one else was having any luck. I didn't see that he did anything different that us or the folks he was fishing with but there had to be something going on. His folks were using the same exact bait, lures, etc that he was using but they were catching zilch while he was pulling them hand over fist. Have often wondered what was different that would make such a difference.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
When I stick myself with a hook I will squeeze blood onto my flies and this seems to get a favorable response from de fishees :thumb:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Years ago while bank fishing on a small reservoir in Oregon I watched a youngster catch fish after fish while no one else was having any luck. I didn't see that he did anything different that us or the folks he was fishing with but there had to be something going on. His folks were using the same exact bait, lures, etc that he was using but they were catching zilch while he was pulling them hand over fist. Have often wondered what was different that would make such a difference.
that seems to happen often. i assume that the casting area in front of said kid might have been a foot or 2 deeper? or maybe some different structure right out in front of him? as for the scent thing, is that why it's called a skunk?:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts