Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I like Kastmasters too... it seems to me that alot of species like them especially aggressive trout...What types of Kastmasters have you tried? I like Silver, Copper, Gold, but my favorites are Cutthroat, Tiger, and especially Rainbow Pattern. I real very slow just enough to make the lure swim...and have had great success more then any other type of lure on a number of lakes...I guess we all have our favorite lures.

I do not like to report fish I lose or fish that get off at shore however for all of you Muskie Hunters I will yell you that I was at Evergreen Sunday at the same spot I caught the 37 incher and bam I hooked onto another. I did not know what it was till it came closer to shore. I did not have a net because I was fishing for trout at the time. When the guy who was fishing to the right saw how big it was he jumped up and I screamed can you net this guy for me...I seriously thought I was going to get my 2nd big muskie...I played him for about 10 minutes...In hindsight I would have tried to wear him out more...This one was about 10 inches bigger than the last...My guesstimate about 45 inches. Finally It was at shore ...Wow this musky was huge...I told the fisherman to scoop it up. He seemed in shock and would not budge I yelled at him again scoop him up. He got the net under the big fish and in a poor net scoop he lifted the Muskie up in the water my lure came off when he did this. The fish was to big to get into the net horizontally and after dancing on the net for a second he manage to slip back into the water unhooked from my lure. he swam out about 10 feet and was jumping and splashing around for a while about ten seconds and then he was gone....Again I do not like to post misses but I was suprised to almost get a second muskie at the same lake almost in the same spot....In fact I had just purchased new line and I was just there to break it in and I was hoping to catch a couple of trout. I never expected another muskie...Well maybe next time.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Mustang...

Have you tried the Silver and Blue? I just bought one and will try it next time out in a trout lake. However I have caught bass, crappie, bluegills, perch, and even a saugeye on a kastmaster along with every type of trout. What about you? Also I prefer a 1/8 ounce in the spring when the fish are closer to shore, size 1/4 ounce in the summer when they seem to be further out, and fall either size. Have a few bigger however never used. What size do you use and whick kasty is your favorite. I have always wanted to ask a fellow kastmaster lure fisher...also at evergreen I had both muskies on a 1/4 Rainbow colored Kasty.

Thanks

TH

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I get most of my hits on a slow but consistant retrieve, and if I feel my lure hesitate (maybe a fish taking a pass at my lure) I will stop or slow it down. That is when I get most hits or simply on the retrieve. I will try that jig and stop and go method....never have tried that before. Do any of yu guys let it sink (countdown) to varying depths?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts