Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Evergreen Lake With Father-In-Law From 5:00PM-9:00PM Sunday Catching Total 5 Rainbows 13-15 inches and 2 Browns 8 Inches on worms and salmon eggs. Thought I would put on a new Kastmaster 1/4 ounce I just bought and see what I could goad to strike right before I was about to leave around 8:30PM. I walked over near the old cabin that overhangs the lake and gave the lure the heave ho?..Then BaaaaM a snag.... :mad: First cast there goes another $4.00 lure I was thinking....Then all of a sudden :eek: I saw something torpedo out of the water and my 6lb test iron silk line going with it. It was a big fish and it was on my line. 

This fish was putting a good bend to my 7 foot Medium Ugly Stick rod and made my Shimano (2000) reel?s drag hum as never before. Was it finally that mountable trophy trout I had been dreaming about since those days with my dad catching my first trout at Dillon Reservoir........?

After about what seemed like an hour to eternity (my father-in-law actually timed the whole fight at a little under 20 minutes) and my arm getting that good sort of burn, I actually was thinking of possibility of landing this fish. The fish was getting tired I could tell, not because one of my hidden talents is talkin' fish as a fish whisperer :) , but because I did not feel like I was going for a ride anymore and was slowly gaining ground (oops water?you know what I mean). Then with the fading daylight I got my first glimpse of this trophy trout.......wait ??alligator face, long body......not a trophy trout but a TIGER MUSKIE wow!!!!

Look at my name distinguished gentlemen it says ?TroutHunter? I am not going to lie and say that I was not disappointed it was not my long dreamt of trophy trout...

But I was even more intrigued with the possibility my first tiger Muskie "the fish of a thousand casts" or so I have heard...

Finally as you fellow boxing enthusiasts remember what the famed boxer / warrior Roberto "Manos De Piedras" ("Hands Of Stones") Duran once said "No Mas" ("No  More")....

So in one moment did this warrior of a fish say "No Mas" and glided towards the bank. With nifty net handling and one scoop of the net by my Father-In-Law my first Tiger was landed. It was measured at 37 inched and 13 pounds on the dot (see image 2 and 3 below we stopped and weighed the Tiger on a local Grocery Stores recycling scale since my $5.00 walmart "your guess is as good as mine trout scale" was no match for this beast).

On the way back to the parking lot, by the rental boats, while I was carrying this brut I noticed several smaller Muskies, five in all,  about 19 inches long waiting for prey near the bank. As I passed by and my shadow passed over these smaller toothy monsters all took off with a flash of their tails as to say  ?thanks now we will be able to grow to the size of the old guy on your stringer.?

Should I change my name to MuskieHunter? No I will leave it to you veteran Muskie experts that know a Muskie is truly "the fish of a thousand casts".  That night I thanked God that for me my first Muskie came on the first. 

It is now in my fridge awaiting a friend who will come over and show me the fine art of preparing, cooking, and eating what he calls a "Muskie delight." You see this was my first one and never had a recipe for these monsters. Sorry this post was so long however I wanted to give all you MuskieHunters the details and let you know the Muskie bite at Evergreen Lake is on?.well at least this one day it was.

Image 01:

Image 02:

Image 03:

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Re: Evergreen Lake 07/03 And Pic's ***Read This***

Nice fish! I have about 9000 more casts to get mine............

Dan

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

nice muskie !!!, i wish i could have that luck, i had one follow my fluke minow in but that was it, that lake holds alot of muskie, its funny when you fish for muskie you dont get um, but when you fish for trout you hook um, anyways nice fish, id be mounting that sucker

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Re: Evergreen Lake 07/03 And Pic's

I am so envious. Nice catch, great story

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

kokaneeking said:
its funny when you fish for muskie you dont get um, but when you fish for trout you hook um, anyways nice fish, id be mounting that sucker
tell me about it. Same with pike too. Icefishing crawford this year besides catching pike on tipups meant for them I caught a few on perch jigs and 2 lb. test. I also had about 10 biteoffs. When I finally used lures meant for pike no strikes. Lol. Nice tiger musky and I'm glad you caught a nice fish, regular musky are supposed to be very good eating not sure about tiger musky though. Nice story too.

M

·
0 Posts

that is a beauty, i might have to make the trip up there tomorrow

D

·
0 Posts

Nice fish ! CFongratulations. And thanks for the report and picture.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks...Does anyone know the growth rate of a Colorado Tiger Muskie? for example how long would it take it to get to 19 inches and then to 37 inches (and 13 pounds)? Also did anyone elso go to Evergreen this weekend and see those red signs that had paper signs stating "Absolutely No Fishing"? What was up with those?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

Boy what a monster.. MEAN looking also.. I have yet to catch one.. Maybe i should let bass rest for a while and go hunting for some PIKE.. well ive tried but no luck.. ( so far )

steve

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Congrats. I usually go up there just for the scenery because I have never seen anyone catch anything there despite the reports of regular stocking. On the 4th, though, I took my family up there and saw a dead tiger musky just at the 36 inch limit at the inlet of Bear Creek (saw a couple of foot long trout swimming nearby-I wonder if they had anything to do with the musky murder ;D)

C

·
0 Posts

Thats a AWSOME tiger musky man! did you have steel leader on? if not its lucky you landed that monster.

F

·
0 Posts

dude thats my fish . you caught my fish just kidding awesome catch i would have that baby on my wall ...first legal tiger musky

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks Again, Below are the answers to some questions above:
No Steel Leader
1/4 Ounce Rainbow Colored Kastmaster
Caught Just West of the old boat cabin by the lake.
Both Top and Bottom Jaw hooked shut on treble hook of Kastmaster
Line broke off when fish was in the net and it took me a few minutes before I had the gull  to retrieve lure  (I even was using needle nose pliers) and my Father-In-Law had to put his knee on the tail  and hold the body with two hands just to take out the lure.
Didn't trust the small stringer I usually use for Trout so I simply cut some yellow rope from a broken down fence near by and used that as a stringer. Boy does that fish have big teeth.

By the way does anyone know what the growth rate of a Colorado Tiger Muskie is? How long does it take to get to 19 inches and how long does it take to get up to 37 inches? I will www.Google.com search to see what I can find unless someone knows first.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Found this:

"Growth rates may also be somewhat different in impoundments where the primary forage is sunfish rather than the preferred sucker/minnow forage. Growth rates reported in other literature are very similar to our results. Tiger Muskies will generally reach the minimum size of 36 inches late in their fourth or sometime during their fifth growing season. Most of their first year's growth occurs in the hatchery, but once released they will put on several more inches, averaging twelve inches by winter. They will average twenty-four inches by the end of their second season, thirty-two inches by the end of the third season. Another Tiger Muskie, 47 inches long and over 29 pounds in weight, had spent only eight years in the before it was caught. It was stocked during 1989, tagged, and then evenually harvested early in 1997. Tagging studies have revealed that there is quite a variation in growth potential between individual fish. Some individuals reach the mid-to upper-thirty inch range, then increase their length very little. However, they do increase in weight. Other fish seem to continue growing in length at the above rate. The above growth rate can be considered the rate for an "average" fish."

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

went up to evergreen lake today after work , walked the shoreline and saw abunch of muskie, dident even hook a trout, no muskie either had one follow in a spinnerbait with trailer but that was it, tryed bait, kastmaster, rapala

·
Registered
636 Posts

Oh how I envy you!!! I have been trying hard this year specifically for a muskie with no success. Congratulations bro. The only thing that saddens me is you kept it for dinner. Jay, can I borrow your tree to hug? I would only keep one to mount it if it was close to the state record but you are entitled to keep it. That was my fish!!!! Great job man, I will soon catch mine. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

NICE!!

GARGANTUA!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts