Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I mentioned that Evergreen Lake was capped and had some guys fishing it earlier this week. Since I am at my parents' for Thanksgiving, I decided to go over and check it out really quick. It's only about ten minutes away from here so it's a cool place to ice for an hour or two when im in the area and don't have the time to drive somewhere better. Nothing big but lots of action so it's also a good spot for taking the kids. The ice has definitely worsened since my post and isn't fishable. It wouldn't be possible to walk out to where the guys were fishing before. There's a decent opening at the inlet and the quality of the ice away from the inlet is bad. I did a little probing and its really slushy. I figured I'd take a couple pics while I was there. I've been fishing some spots down the hill lately and have been doing ok numbers-wise but no bigguns so I'll probably head out after dinner and see what's going on. In the mean time, I'll probably shoot my bow until dinner is ready. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
In years past the Evergreen police keep a close eye on the lake and won't let anyone on until there's about 10 to 12 inches of ice. Usually miss out on the good early ice bite but there are some fun days catching small ones.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
In years past the Evergreen police keep a close eye on the lake and won't let anyone on until there's about 10 to 12 inches of ice. Usually miss out on the good early ice bite but there are some fun days catching small ones.
10-12" before they let anyone on?!? Do they give out tickets or just ask you to leave?

·
Registered
633 Posts
They kicked me off the ice one year and said it was too thin. I replied that I was standing on 6-7 inches which would hold up a small car but they didn't want to hear that and said they want a foot or more to be safe. Last year a guy died when he went through the ice but he was on an area where there was current and thin ice.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Lots of people fished that lake last year when it was 4 - 6 inches. The guy that died last year was on a tractor clearing snow, not an ice fisherman.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I heard from a couple people that fished Evergreen Thanksgiving weekend and said the ice was fishable.

The weather temp has been below 32 up until today with another warmer day tomorrow, Friday.

I'm looking to try Evergreen on Saturday early morning.

Do you think two days of 40-45 degree weather will cause much of a change in the ice?

I'm a newbie to ice fishing and we will have a spud bar and not venture too far from the shore.

Thanks Guys!

Evergreen Weather

Evergreen Weather.jpg

·
Registered
443 Posts
I fished it on the 28th, and it had 4.5", not sure about now. If you go, avoid the inlet area, and check with your spud as you go. Stay safe!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Fished Evergreen this morning. Only a few other guys out on the ice. We were fairly close to shore standing on 5" of white (cloudy?) ice. I'm not sure of the terminology! Make sure you have a spud bar. I was poking around and venturing further from shore when it went from 4" to under 2" in less than 10 feet.

We were fishing in 6-12 FOW.

The ice was very vocal! Lots of cracks and for a while it was sounded like a dog barking or something strange.

At one point we heard a deep loud BOOM and immediately felt a rush of wind that felt like a blast from an explosion! The other group next to us saw us visibly concerned and they assured us the noises were fairly normal. It was wild!

This was our first time ice fishing. Thanks for all the advice, we had a blast catching dinks!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Fished Evergreen this morning. Only a few other guys out on the ice. We were fairly close to shore standing on 5" of white (cloudy?) ice. I'm not sure of the terminology! Make sure you have a spud bar. I was poking around and venturing further from shore when it went from 4" to under 2" in less than 10 feet.

The ice was very vocal! Lots of cracks and for a while it was sounded like a dog barking or something strange.

At one point we heard a deep loud BOOM and immediately felt a rush of wind that felt like a blast from an explosion! The other group next to us saw us visibly concerned and they assured us the noises were fairly normal. It was wild!

This was our first time ice fishing. Thanks for all the advice, we had a blast catching dinks!
Glad you has a good time!

I guessed the wrong location when I posted on your other thread Dallas.

Most lakes sing quite a bit, can be disconcerting at first for sure lol.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

Lol that was me and my bros! Glad y'all did well! Ice was singing a bit... We had blue skies to a full on blizzard within the two hours or so of fishing!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Pistol,
From the other thread, what lake did you originally think we were at?

Da_teacher,
I was the guy that came over and was asking about your rod saver and bait.
What's funny is I almost asked if any of you were on CF but then thought that would be a bit dorky! lol

Ninja,
Thanks! It was my buddy and my first time. We are both hooked (pun intended) and planning on making a list of different lakes we want to hit this winter.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I was out there on Saturday fishing on 4-6" of ice. There were four other groups out there.

The inlet had quite a bit of open water. Use a spud bar and be safe!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fished it this afternoon. Ice was 8 inches and solid where we were. Didnt have to venture out too far to get into some bites.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts