Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left Fort Collins for the weekend and headed back home to evergreen. My buddy and I fished our old classic spot-evergreen lake. It's an awesome place to go for a little fun with the fly rod. It's one of those places that you can count on providing lots of fun trout action. While big fish are rare, they do pop up from time to time. Plus, the prospect of catching a Muskie is always awesome. The first day we fished it was rainy, the second day it was snowing. I used red chiros and copper johns under an indicator, hoppers and dries, streamers and more and had success with everything. They seemed to like my indicator so I threw on a big multi-colored egg and caught on that, too. Typically the catch will consist of just stocker rainbows but I caught a decent mix of bows, browns and cutbows. If you want consistent action, try it out. If you catch a decent fish, though, put it back. I saw a guy keep the biggest evergreen lake trout I've seen to date and it irritated the hell outta me. There's no reason to do that. If everyone would throw the bigger fish back, the fish quality would steadily improve.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
True, man. Its a great lake. Excellent for beginning fly fishermen (like me) and for kids on spinning gear. Always well stocked, always relatively clean, and a beautiful location for some close-to-home trout.

I didn't know there were any cutbows in there... I've caught browns and bows, but never a cutty.

This past ice season, we managed several larger trout (13-16") in the dead center of the lake jigging giant spoons and kastys.

Thanks for the post... And I agree. Evergreen rocks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup ...... Evergreen can be a fun place to fish. Always lots of fish that are eager to bite. I have fished it quite a few times and never got skunked :smile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts