Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I am wondering which of these lakes you would recommend ice fishing in late December?

I grew up in evergreen and used to ice fish there 15 plus times a winter and would limit every time just dropping salmon eggs to the bottom, That was also over a decade ago.... I am wondering if that is still the best strategy for the mostly stocker population residing in these lakes?

I have never ice fished at Georgetown but I see people seem to be catching a fair amount of fish there in recent years, also wondering what bait/lures/jigs people have had success with there in years past.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I wouldn't do either honestly. There's less known lakes you'd have a better time at as well as probably catch better fish

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Early ice at Evergreen is fun but after that it's a crowded nightmare.

Never been to Georgetown but was told it's super windy which in turn blows dirt on the ice that will quickly dull your auger blades.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to stay relative close to home, I live in centennial now. What lake will have better ice fishing options within a couple of hours of the metro? I like catching big fish (obviously lol) but have found that I prefer catching more fish while out on the ice. I also will be going mid-week so crowds shouldn't be that big of issue.

·
P I K E
10,163 Posts
Hit 11 Mile at the inlet side you'll see all the swiss cheese holes in the ice! 2 hours from your home!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Evergreen has been my favorite for catching numbers. If you go during the week you should be good.

Rat Finkee or shrimpo tipped with a wax worm or piece of raw shrimp works well.

Never tried salmon eggs fyi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts