Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, my fly rod has been out of commission due to the stripping guide being snapped off. Made it very difficult to fish.

Anyway, pistoldog hooked me up with a fellow named Kevin who operates Colorado Custom Fly Rods Ltd. He agreed to help me with my problem and took my fly rod in on 4/24 of this month.

On 4/25 it was done.

Here is the before picture, followed by the after.

Looks as good or better than factory.

Now, I don't know how to do this kind of work, and I don't know how difficult it is to do. But I WILL tell you that this new guide is better than the one that came from the factory, it is seamlessly integrated into the rod, and looks and feels perfect. The guy did the work for a VERY reasonable rate and had it done in one day. He is a very busy fellow and builds beautiful custom rods (link to his website below) but took the time to help a needy fisherman out with a simple repair for a minimal fee.

Thank you to P-Dog and to Kevin at Colorado Custom Fly Rods for helping get me back out on the water... with my limited time I have left for fishing in Colorado.

http://www.coloradocustomflyrods.com/

***Some of his custom work:

http://www.coloradocustomflyrods.com/RodGallery/index.html

·
Registered
342 Posts
Glad you found a local place to get it repaired. And his work looks great.

Now get out there and catch something on it before you move!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^Yes, I actually took a 50 gallon drum of WD40 and set it RIGHT on top of that eye. I then punched a hole in the barrel and allowed all 50 gallons to seep right onto it. Then, when that was done, I drank a gallon of WD40 and pissed on the rod, right at that eye. That's when it broke.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
All that might have been a bit too much.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let's just say it cost about as much as taking the family to Burger King for lunch. ;)

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Let's just say it cost about as much as taking the family to Burger King for lunch. ;)
Havnt eaten at BK since i worked there back in 2000, Anyway i get what your saying... Errr.. what your not saying.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Did he tell you to not quote his prices?

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
That repair took probably 20 minutes of his time, and a mix of epoxy including all the expendables like mixing cup, stir stick, application brush. Looks like he did a fine job. HIs pictures on his website are pretty kickin' too with the use of likely hand-sourced tree bark materials he puts in his handles. I need to set aside time to go find some of that stuff myself.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He did not tell me to keep price to myself. However, out of respect, I would rather not divulge the price here because I am nor sure whether or not he does repair work regularly and I do not know if he gave me a discount from his normal pricing.

It was more than "free" and less than $40. You can see the window there.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I heard it broke while trying to fish for lakers with a water dog!!! :cool:
Hey *******!!! I told you to keep that to yourself!!! Gawd... Now everyone will know how to catch em!

Since it's out of the bag now (thanks ALOT Tony).....

2x tippet, biggest water dog you can find, size 2/0 treble hook. and SNAP IT, SNAP IT, SNAP IT!!!!!!

((3 minutes, 10 seconds in))

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
:madgrin::madgrin::madgrin::madgrin::madgrin: it was the crack that made me do it!!!

anyway I can help the masses!!! (no homo)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts