Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im trying to sell my FJ cruiser and i cant seem to get any hits on it. its priced 3k below blue book, has all the upgrades possible, is in absolutely perfect shape, and still not a single call or email, except from those consignment agencies. I didnt even consider them at first, but now im feeling hopless. this economy is making it utterly impossible to sell a car. i need this thing gone and i cant drop my price anymore than i already did. do these guys actually get your car sold fast? what experiences have any of you had? thanks.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Most are going to have the same luck as you. Unless you drop it more, it aint gunna sell- especially if you havent even had any tire kickers.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
andyrm66 said:
Most are going to have the same luck as you. Unless you drop it more, it aint gunna sell- especially if you havent even had any tire kickers.
i figured 3k below blue book was reasonable at least.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
You might send a PM to Batman he is an auto broker and one heckuva a nice guy who will play it straight...he is an auto broker and might have some ideas for ya...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I'm assuming you can't drop the price because of what you owe? I would think that a consignment deal, you would make less because the seller would need/want to make something? My thought, is wait it out till you get what you need! Just my thought!

Jim

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
COLD CASE said:
I must have lucked out. The auto broker bought my '73 Dodge power wagon for himself for just what I was asking. PK
I said "MOST".

My buddie was buying a Barracuda from some dude one day and ended up leaving with it and a 73 power wagon to boot. "certin" people love those things.

With the economy what it is right now, book really doesnt mean jack. Its only worth what someone is willing to pay right now.

Sometimes waiting it out is the only option or just taking it in the shorts...

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Selling a higher $$ auto on your own is a PITA. I sold my 2005 Jeep GC earlier this year. Similar to you, it was in fantastic shape and priced below blue book & the other vehicles out there. It took me 3 months to sell it, but I wasn't in a hurry.

How are you advertising it? Just craigslist? I'd try at least autotrader as well. I've also heard that carmax will often buy a car from you. You might give that a shot.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
baetisrun1 said:
I'm assuming you can't drop the price because of what you owe? I would think that a consignment deal, you would make less because the seller would need/want to make something? My thought, is wait it out till you get what you need! Just my thought!

Jim
from the sounds of it i think thats what i'm gonna have to do

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bionic Man said:
Selling a higher $$ auto on your own is a PITA. I sold my 2005 Jeep GC earlier this year. Similar to you, it was in fantastic shape and priced below blue book & the other vehicles out there. It took me 3 months to sell it, but I wasn't in a hurry.

How are you advertising it? Just craigslist? I'd try at least autotrader as well. I've also heard that carmax will often buy a car from you. You might give that a shot.

Good luck.
ya just craigslist. i hate to pay a hundred bucks for autotrader but it may just help. thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
FPF said:
Bionic Man said:

Good luck.
ya just craigslist. i hate to pay a hundred bucks for autotrader but it may just help. thanks for the reply
Auto Trader used to be awesome, but now it's terrible. Most of the ads there are dealer ads, they've taken over auto trader.

Do you have a link to your ad on craigslist?

Eli

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Here's the trap you don't want to fall into....

All the car dealers use an auction service (can't remember the name off hand). If you go to a dealer and want to trade it in or sell it, they will enter your VIN and a description. Other dealers will barter on the site for the vehicle...this is how they determine what they'll pay you on a trade-in at a dealership. That information stays there for a long time.

Here's how I know.....

I went to a Broker (H.M. Brown & Associates) because I was interested in trading in both my truck and a boat. I was thinking I could get into a used Subaru Outback for a while in order to catch up. The broker at H.M. Brown entered my boat into the auction site to see what he could get for it.

To make a long story short, the jerkoff at the broker suggested I keep the boat in the garage and trade in my truck for a Subaru Outback. When I responded that an Outback would not tow a 19 foot bass boat, he suggested I leave the boat in my garage until I sell it private party. I told him.....well....(insert profanity here).

About a year later, I went to Phil Long Ford to try to do the same thing - trade in the truck and boat on a smaller truck to improve cash flow. We figured out a deal so I went home and brought the boat back with me to the dealership. I didn't tell the dealer that the boat had two fish finders and I wanted to keep one so I could use it for ice fishing. They looked over the boat and asked - "where's the second fish finder"....scratched my head and said "Oh, let me go get it".

Bottom line is, the information was still on that stupid auction site.

I've had good luck with brokers in the past but I will NEVER do business with H.M. Brown EVER again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts