Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How was every one's time at the expo? I had a good time. It is begining to seem the same every year but none the less a good time. I got towatch Barry Reynolds tie some pike flies. That was a cool treat. Also picked up a sweet exofficcio shirt from the guys at telluride fly shop, I always seem to buy something from them every year. I did not see the coloradofisherman booth, but I went on friday, maybe you guys were there on sat.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I went to a couple seminars this year and wasnt impressed, I gained alot of information from the seminars last year. Flies to use, techniques, areas to fish. This year they seemed to try and pack way to much into the 45 min seminar so any information I got was pretty vague.
The floor also seemed to have alot more outfitters this year then manufactors and shops, I'm guessing this had alot to do with alot of the fly shops closing up this year, I even got a flyer in the mail from a fly shop that said 50% - 70% off our going out of business sale after the Fly Fishing Expo. (sad)
I still had fun though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I picked up a travel rod from March Brown LTD. 8 wt, 9 ft, 6 piece. They were selling rods at about a 66% discount, so a rod that was normally $360 was going for $120.

I was disappointed to see the "pond" was dry this year. On the other hand I saw an 8 year old kid there that was casting better than one of the Simms reps.

If this show looked a lot like last years show, it was because it was the same... Many of the repeat exhibitors had their booth at exactly the same spot on the floor as the previous year.

I didn't sit through any seminars or fly tying things.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I also attended on Friday and was not really impressed either.  It sure seems that most of these shows start off with a bang and then turn into destination fishing spots.  I'm not sure about everyone else, but I can't justity spending thousands of dollars a year for a fishing trip.  I try to take one float trip a year and that's about it.  

Do many of you fish destination spots at all?  If so, how often?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
When I was single I use to go to boundry waters every year, cant afford it now.

N

·
0 Posts
I fish alot of destination water. And I am poor. For instance Chile is in the works and the Mongolia trip is already booked. For those of you who have never had the experience I highly recommend it. I save up for a whole year and treat myself the next. The whole experience is great, different water,different culture(if out of country), different fish,and different people.Its a blast every time I go somewhere to fish, and I don't regret a cent spent.

B

·
0 Posts
I went on Saturday. Thought it was good, but it is starting to look the same every year. Went to one seminar- Barry Beck's Tactics for Catching Larger Trout-and enjoyed it. It didn't seem quite as crowded as last year. Only thing I bought was lunch and 2 beers. Spent all my money on Friday at St Pete's.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Luckily I had no money as this guy was bartering with me on a nice pair of simms waders, if I had money it would of been gone. Hopefully the sportsmans expo will be better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts