Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been fishing some local spots lately since I've been at my parents for thanksgiving break. Been getting lots of walleye but nothing crazy. It's been really cold. I've been fishing from like seven to midnight. Lots of frozen guides to be deiced. The vast majority of my walleye in the past week have come on storm paddle tail shad sbs, 3in. Usually I'll just cast it out, let it sink to the bottom and creep it back. I might go back tonight and try the larger lures and my fly rod. Never before have I kept a walleye so last night after getting some decent ones I decided to keep a couple. I have seen a lot of good recipes on the forum that inspired me to give it a shot. These two measured at 20. Currently exploring all the walleye recipe options...I'll let you know how the food is!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Wow thats hard core...7 until midnight in this weather...ahhhh to be young and stupid again!...Great job!!!...lol I am trying to rationalize going out and putting up Christmas lights...Slayer is icing north of the border speaking of old and stupid!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thats hard core...7 until midnight in this weather...ahhhh to be young and stupid again!...Great job!!!...lol I am trying to rationalize going out and putting up Christmas lights...
Lol thanks z. You call it stupidity, I call it dedication! I figure if I continue to put in work, eventually I'll be rewarded. I'll probably be back at it tonight....

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
No disrespect hindsight is 20-20 and now I may know better after 30 years of doing that same thing...not as often now...a lot of those eyes youre getting after dark this time of year may go in the same spots in the daylight...as the need to feed is strong this time of the year...a 3/8 ounce jighead on braid with the same paddletail will get you into a little deeper water in the same spot as those fish may slide off just a little deeper water during the day and you can get away with a little more aggressive of a retrieve in daylight looking for reaction strikes by fish...good luck out there...be safe!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No disrespect hindsight is 20-20 and now I may know better after 30 years of doing that same thing...not as often now...a lot of those eyes youre getting after dark this time of year may go in the same spots in the daylight...as the need to feed is strong this time of the year...a 3/8 ounce jighead on braid with the same paddletail will get you into a little deeper water in the same spot as those fish may slide off just a little deeper water during the day and you can get away with a little more aggressive of a retrieve in daylight looking for reaction strikes by fish...good luck out there...be safe!
For sure, man. I appreciate the info. This is just one report, though. I've caught walleye during the day and used 3/8 jigheads w paddle tails with success. I love em. That's actually probably the second lure I ever used for eyes. I started using them after losing a bunch of expensive jerks back in the day at chatty. The storm paddle tails are nice because they're cheap and walmart has them. Being that it's my thanksgiving break and I'm home from school, I've been trying to spend time with the family during the day and then fish at night when they're all in bed. I definitely appreciate your input, though. You have been doing it way longer than me

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With regard to braid, I agree. I could totally benefit from using it. It seems like a lot of the walleye guys prefer it. I would probably get some now but I use my spinning rod for ice fishing as well ao I might wait.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice. I carried my rods in the back of my car all week thinking I would give it a try after work, in the dark. Sissied out. Might be icing metro soon, if it stays this cold.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey pal.....we don't need liberals anywhere near our state's walleye fisheries..... those fish are off limits to guys like you and hope you weren't out fishing in that jacket..... most walleye anglers come from a conservative background and wouldn't want to see old whompy used for bait lol

mattyt is spot on in that you need to roll with the punches and toughen up.... I thought his initial comment was quite funny and how you chose to respond was even more entertaining.... either way those 20" dinks you got there should have been released..... be a sportsman and not that guy who eats his first 20" eye :pound:

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Hey pal.....we don't need liberals anywhere near our state's walleye fisheries..... those fish are off limits to guys like you and hope you weren't out fishing in that jacket..... most walleye anglers come from a conservative background and wouldn't want to see old whompy used for bait lol

mattyt is spot on in that you need to roll with the punches and toughen up.... I thought his initial comment was quite funny and how you chose to respond was even more entertaining.... either way those 20" dinks you got there should have been released..... be a sportsman and not that guy who eats his first 20" eye :pound:
Dude...you really need to get a girlfriend and get over this man-crush for Whompie!!! :llama::llama::llama:

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I wish I had 2 - 20" eyes right about now.....nice feesh.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts