Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my birthday, screw it.

Looking at the weather over the last few days, I knew there would be a short window of opportunity to try Tennessee ice fishing. We had skim ice a week ago, followed by several nights below freezing. This, in and of itself, would not have sufficed. Then came the ice storm on Monday... Knocked out power to my whole town and covered the world with ice.

Including my pond.

I went out the next day (Tuesday) to scout some local waters to determine the thickness and quality of the ice. It was not good. Ice near the shore on the south sides of the lakes/ponds was a mere 2" thick, and any distance out, the ice cracked under my spud bar.

My confidence waned, as I knew it would take a miracle to get fishable ice.

**Enter Wednesday and Thursday nights**

0 degrees and -10 degrees respectively, each day did not see a high of over 15 degrees.

Thursday during the day, I still did not feel comfortable, as I knew I needed one more frigid hard freezing night to get the pond where it needed to be, so I did not venture out. But looking at the forecast, I saw that Friday the 20th would see a rise in temperature and rain mixed with ice in the PM hours. I knew that I had ONE shot... One 4 hour window of opportunity to try my hand at ice fishing in Tennessee: My birthday, before work.

Woke up later than I wanted, 10:00 AM. Got my gear together, blew the dust off my Strikemaster and threw my **** in my JetSled XL. The pond was waiting, I was ready, I was gonna catch some fish!!!!

**I made this map after cruising the pond a few times in the raft... It is pretty accurate.

Got down to the edge, one foot on.... GOLDEN.... two feet on... SWEEEEEET.

Southeast side of the pond was good... 3-4 inches of good ice. This side is shielded from sun and wind, so that's where I started.

Drilled a total of 8 holes, depths from 3.5-9.5 feet. (the pic with the sled was my first tentative hole to determine ice thickness... real close to shore) I marked no fish in these 8 holes.

The side of the lake I was fishing is rather featureless compared to the north and west sides... I thought I would go check that side of the lake out.

Spud bar went straight through, first punch on the north face. Moved to the west... bar went through after two punches... Less than 2 inches.

Best I can figure, the sun and wind hit this side more over the course of the week... Warmed the ice, melted, did not solidify, whatever. Was not safe.

So I went back to the holes I had drilled earlier and finished off my 2 hour ice fishing day with the skunk... but I did what they said couldn't (shouldn't) be done.

I fuckin' ice fished in Tennessee.

When I got back home, I had my birthday present waiting for me. Had time to snap a couple photos and then head into work.

Good day, wish I'd caught a fish or two... In retrospect, I should have gone to dad's house and tried there... Many many more fish there than in the one by the house, but they are much much smaller. I guess I was thinking, "Go big or go home."..... I should have thought, "Catch a f***in fish asswipe."

Tonight it is raining and sleeting, the temperature is rising, and the ice cap I so eagerly anticipated is getting rotted away slowly. I was right... I had a 4 hour window in 2015 to ice fish in Tennessee... I'm just glad I got to do it, and on my birthday, no less. :)

Here are the holes I drilled.

And I'll post up a couple videos in a minute of the excursion. Nothing really to see. Just a video of drilling a hole, one of jigging, and a sonar shot of the bait moving up and down (with no interested fish). I mainly took the videos to prove to the asswipes out here who said it was impossible to ice fish in Tennessee. I was going to cut and edit them together... there's alot of dead time in them... but I decided it's not really worth it. :)

Happy February 21st everyone. Thanks for reading. This was an awesome birthday.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Happy Birthday and one helluva present you gave yourself. Great report and pics/videos. You are one crazy Tennesseean, but you did it!

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Owen youre one crazy icehole congrats!...yep shoulda went to dads pond...now you know how Carroll arrived at the decision to throw at the goal line!...lololol!...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Happy Birthday mang. YOU DID IT!! Why didn't you drill in deeper water ice ,wasn't thick enough? Sweet tackle box, I got one just like it but quickly realized it wasn't* practical for my type of fishing. Which is walking the shoreline and fishing. However, I do pack that thing full of stuff when I go catfishing and am not moving so much

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Happy birthday Owen! Ice looked plenty thick, good job getting out. I have to say though...thats the most annoying sonar I've ever heard!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
K, so you got some cojones, but where are the fish? :D Seriously, ice fishing was the last thing on my mind when I saw the title. I thought you had got into some serious fish... Was expecting a giant cat. :lol: I guess ice fishing is more rare than big cats in Tennessee.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Funny ****
Shoulda went out further fo sho

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You.

Da.

Man!

Nice work - way to take advantage of a situation that probably had every other angler in TN hiding under blankets.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. We had a major ice storm come through and wipe out our town... No power, Internet, or phone. Hopefully we will have some internet soon and I can get back on and post soon. For now, we are in survival mode. I'm posting from someone elses cell phone, as we have no cell service right now

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Crazy man
Go ice some more! Need to hit that 15-20' range

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The ice was followed by warm rain... There is no ice anymore. Just slushy broken up sheets of nastiness.

Didn't go out further than 9.5' depth because I was concerned about the quality of the ice... Just wasn't confident enough.

Anyway, I'm staying at dad's house and am using his cell to post. He has Verizon, I hsve TMobile. TMobile towers are down.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, that sonar alarm was turned off right away. I was using it for trolling around on the little lakes up here on my raft. When there is no jig under the ducer, it doesn't make that noise unless a fish pops up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts