Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Back in the day all you needed was a rapala drug across their backs. FISH ON!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
the fly fisher elites do it every fall on the gunnison, those kokes get the **** beat out of them trying to get back Roaring Judy, great fun but really leave the dam fish alone.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Fishing during the spawn (right off the spawn beds) can be an excellent method of population control for over-populated lakes. We did this alot in Texas in bluegill ponds that were stunted and over-populated.

That said, here in Colorado, fishing for bass off the beds ain't cool. Show me an over-populated bass lake here, and then I'll show you some bluefin Tuna in the Platte.

As far as trout go, I can't speak to that. Different species spawn at different times of year, so in a multi-species river or stream, it would be virtually impossible to avoid ALL spawning fish. As far as I can tell, there's no shortage of trout in this state... But like I said, I don't REALLY have a firm grasp on coldwater species' spawning habits.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Fishing on spawning fish is not very sporting at all, best to leave them alone to do there thing with some exceptions, at Granby we fish post spawn lakers but this is for the smaller egg eaters not spawners. The Snake river in Jackson Wyoming is closed the entire month of March so the fish can spawn without being harrassed.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Fishing on spawning fish is not very sporting at all, best to leave them alone to do there thing...

Agreed. The farmers who had us kids do it down there wanted to wipe out as many gills and hybrids as we could to allow the overall size of individual fish get bigger. Some of these ponds were so full of stunted sunfish that they were literally starving... Bonefish, in the most literal sense. Barring conditions such as these, fishing spawn beds is pure cowardice.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Fuk trout.. Who cares?? They will just stock more anyway!! LOL

As far as bass: Professional bass fisherman fish spawning bass off beds every year... And the bass that are kept to weigh dont get released anywhere near where they were bedding. I have no issue with fishing spawning bass.. as long as the fish is handled properly and released in close proximity to where they were caught so they can return to the bed.

I know there will be plenty of people who disagree with me though....

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
They all are JUST FISH.

Go fishing and do what YOU want!

Me I DO NOT fish for fish on the reds.

I will fish during the spawning "season".

Is that unethical?

And ask me if I care about anyone's response to the above question.....:tongue:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
the fly fisher elites do it every fall on the gunnison, those kokes get the **** beat out of them trying to get back Roaring Judy, great fun but really leave the dam fish alone.
And some of us enjoy the heck out of it. At least we are not the ones killing them in the lake and giving them no chance to get to their concrete home at roaring judy.

Oh yea I have seen some snaggers along with the holier than thou spinning "reelest" on that river as well. But I am sure they have more ethics than fly fishermen.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
And some of us enjoy the heck out of it. At least we are not the ones killing them in the lake and giving them no chance to get to their concrete home at roaring judy.

Oh yea I have seen some snaggers along with the holier than thou spinning "reelest" on that river as well. But I am sure they have more ethics than fly fishermen.
The closest thing to Alaska flossing for reds in Co. except there you just keep your limit hooked in the mouth only and stop harassing them. Gotta be a blast with the fly rod.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The closest thing to Alaska flossing for reds in Co. except there you just keep your limit hooked in the mouth only and stop harassing them. Gotta be a blast on the fly.
A friend and I had contests on the east river, one game was called baseball were we took turns fishing the same hole. You got so many at bats per inning. Each cast was a pitch, a hookset attempt and miss was a strike. letting the drift go was a ball, and if you walked it was a new at bat and it and did't count for a base. Snagging one behind the head was an out and hooking in the mouth was a hit, hooking up and getting shook of was a strikel. or if you snagged one and could shake it of it was also a strike and not an out. You could only get a single and we made a diamond on the bank and used rocks to advance bases.
Turned out to be good training for fishing for reds and silvers in AK.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
What if your fishing in a lake with no carp in it? And your releasing the fish practically next to their beds? I remember last year a bass was on its bed about 3 feet away from where I would bring my lure back through bushes and what not, I caught that exact fish, on accident, 3 times in maybe 20 casts with the same lure, each time I released it the fish went immediately back to its bed. You'd think it would of learned atleast after the second time to not attack that thing, im pretty confident that that bass's bed was not disturbed while it was out of the water maybe 15 seconds

·
Registered
35 Posts

As far as bass: Professional bass fisherman fish spawning bass off beds every year... And the bass that are kept to weigh dont get released anywhere near where they were bedding. I have no issue with fishing spawning bass.. as long as the fish is handled properly and released in close proximity to where they were caught so they can return to the bed.

"Professional BASS Fisherman". You mean the likes of southern **** brains running Rangers?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I'm not fussy. I throw in a stick of dynamite, and what floats to the top is supper.

Simple.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Hell of a lot better than yanking em up from 60 ft. spooning. Even if they are taken to the scales. I love bed fishing. I can see the bed right there, I get a tug on my line, let him go, and he's right back guarding... no problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts