Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spent last week up at LAC SEUL RESERVOIR in NW. Ontario. Hell of a Fishery.. just amazing !
Easily caught (conservatively) over 1200 Eyes and Northerns between the 6 of Us in 3 boats. Only fished about 7 hours a day max.
These fish are toughened up by the ever present current areas that they reside in.. They put Our Plains Walleyes to shame as far as GIRTH, TOUGHNESS and FIGHTING ability... An 18" Eye there will easily surpass 2.75 Lbs and a 25"er will weigh in over 7 lbs... They are just pigs! The PIKE are brutes, too... and MEAN... long runs and jumps at the boat are common.
Didn't get any Muskies, although, We never targeted them. A 53 incher was landed By a group at Our Resort, also.
Biggest fish taken by My group were a 26.75" Eye by Me... also a 37.5" Pike by Me...
Guess I was the "lucky boy" that week !!
A few pics:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Damn, them are some chunks. Sounds like fun!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet report! What were you guys doing to catch fish?
Easy technique... IF You can master "boat control" and don't mind gettin a bit wet once in awhile...
BACK TROLLING with a 1/4 oz Chartruese or Glow Watermelon Jig did the trick... tipped with a live minnow or 2-3" piece of crawler.... had to find a windblown point or reef with deep water nearby. 95% of the fish were caught in 18- 24' of water..
The "bite" was VERY light... just a subtle "hmmm, something feels different" type of take... set the hook.... fish on.. the bigger the Eye, the lighter the take.
Even the Pike bit light... except for the quick bite offs that are PIKE... I don't mind losing a .40 Jig once in awhile...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
god I bet that was fun, so I'm looking for a place next sept. to celebrate my 60th birthday, was the trip very expensive? how much advance notice is needed?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
god I bet that was fun, so I'm looking for a place next sept. to celebrate my 60th birthday, was the trip very expensive? how much advance notice is needed?
Actually, VERY inexpensive... 1 week deluxe cabin, 16' Lund with 30 hp, all gas, all ice, We used @ 60 doz minnows which were added to overall cost and total bill was right at $1320 ea.

here is the link: http://www.lacseuloutposts.com/

They boat You in, about a 50 min ride. Nice BIG covered boats. They handle ALL your gear, loading and unloading, and cart it up to Your cabin. All You do is put it away. Same on return trip. You bring Your own vittles.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Very cool! I want a trip to Northern Canada badly!

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Thats MY kinda action!

Cept for the backtrollin.

Did you guys try bladin em?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats MY kinda action!

Cept for the backtrollin.

Did you guys try bladin em?
I actually did... Bass Pro Lazer Blade...
Caught a few smaller ones.... THEN...
Lost 2 in the rocks...
Tried some Jiggin Raps, too...
Lost 2 in the rocks....
Said "F--K It" and went back to jig and minnow....

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Actually, VERY inexpensive... 1 week deluxe cabin, 16' Lund with 30 hp, all gas, all ice, We used @ 60 doz minnows which were added to overall cost and total bill was right at $1320 ea.

here is the link: http://www.lacseuloutposts.com/

They boat You in, about a 50 min ride. Nice BIG covered boats. They handle ALL your gear, loading and unloading, and cart it up to Your cabin. All You do is put it away. Same on return trip. You bring Your own vittles.
So yer saying, walleye and eggs for breakfast, fish sandwich for lunch and grilled walleye tacos for dinner. Sounds pretty good to me. Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Good work Jimi!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So yer saying, walleye and eggs for breakfast, fish sandwich for lunch and grilled walleye tacos for dinner. Sounds pretty good to me. Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing.
Bwaahaahaa!!
Although We DID eat fish for 4 meals...
Prepared in different ways.. Tacos, Breaded, Beer Battered and in Chowder...
We had varied menus every nite..
Even had a "shore lunch" of fire roasted hot dogs one afternoon...:thumb::thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts