Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love fall bass and have a pretty good system at spratt platte for catching numbers of largemouths . It's not uncommon to catch 10 fish or more with a shot at fish up to 20 inches . Im gonna try to submit an article to Ken in the next couple days about fishing at spratt . Hopefully my writing is solid and it can get into the magazine!!!!! Here are a couple of pictures from Spratt Platte .

Bass fishing at Spratt has even helped me decorate my house !!!!!!hahaha

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've caught fish during the a snow storm at spratt ...until the ice goes on ....I remeber when they first opened it this year I was catching bass when most anglers weren't even thinking of it yet .

·
Registered
943 Posts
hey fg do you always use that red and white lure or do you use different ones?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
so you were "walking the dog" with that zara spook? Or were they hitting it after it landed?

Dan

·
Registered
213 Posts
Those are some dark bass too, most I catch are really light to almost grey in color. That must be some really clear water.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The red and white zara spook has been my favorite top water bait for a long time now . I've caught bass, northerns, and even trout on this lure . I make long casts down the shoreline and walk the dog on the way in...Every once and a while ill get a hit as soon as it lands but for the most part its on the "walking the dog" retrieve . For me its the most exciting way to catch fish

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
walking the dog is the reference when the topwater lure goes side to side , you can do this by pointing the rod down and going up and down motion will walk the dog, ive done well at the arsenal for pike with a silver and blue zara, ive only caught one bass on topwater

·
Registered
87 Posts
kokaneeking said:
walking the dog is the reference when the topwater lure goes side to side , you can do this by pointing the rod down and going up and down motion will walk the dog, ive done well at the arsenal for pike with a silver and blue zara, ive only caught one bass on topwater
Thanks Kokaneeking, I searched the phrase and found a short discription on a ESPN link.
http://espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/s/f_fea_topwaters_F&HN.html
I've seen this done, tried it myself with a bubble followed with a 5-6 ft. tippet leader with flies for trout. Had some hit the bubbel. Back to the sports store for some top water lures. :)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if its an undercut bank I'll cast as close to the shore as possible . If not I try to cast parallel to the shore one to two feet out . Here is area where a walking bait like a zara spook really does well .

·
Registered
943 Posts
hey fg i see you go left from the parking lot . i will have to try that direction because i always go right.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its funny everyone either goes straigt for the docs or to the right ....over by that road is awesome early in the year ...heres a good tip for ya...next year when a storm is on the way in and the wind starts blowing real hard . Everyone else takes off and ive got that whole eastern shoreline to myself . The wind stacks those fish up in large numbers!!!!!whenever Im at work and the wind picks up I'll take off early and go have fun

·
Registered
943 Posts
the wind is blowing right now i might have to hit it after work. so you recommend top water?
:)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wind is blowing hard ....lipless crankbaits ....the lake is turning over right now so you might not get into that many fish...just a warning

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
NICE!

The side you were fishing is the same side I fished a few times earlier in the year. That corner on the 1st pic where the fence goes into the water is one of my favorites. Caught the same bass on the same rig over and over once there and just gave up to give its lips a rest.

Thanks for sharing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your article to get in the mag.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
its funny everyone either goes straight for the docs or to the right
...you can really see this illustrated in a movie theater that has both right and left entrances...about twice as many people go to the right...I always go to the left and find better seats if the theater is crowded...the same I imagine would hold true for paths around lakes...

·
Registered
833 Posts
That top water lure looks like a Rapala Skitter Walk.
Has anyone else used this lure? I've fished at Kansas lakes like Cedar Bluffs in tournaments and the bass just crush it. I opt for the bone color. I've been using it at Aurora Reservoir to scare up wipers but so far no luck.
It casts a mile and has great action and a clicking noise when you jerk it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its actually a zara spook ....have you used both ? if so which one do you prefer ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts