Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, as you all can see...

My fishing reports pretty much have come to a hault as soon as Summer peaked. However, it's not over yet. I've been itchin to go catch some brown trout and hopefully some decent sized ones. Just don't really know where to go and when the best time is.

My only guess would be the S. Platte above Chatfield. I plan on using my usual lightweight spin tackle and more than likely, will be throwing hardware and using worms or minnows where permitted. Can anyone please give me some ideas? I would surely appreciate some info.

Thanks in advance,
1eyeReD

P.S. I've been dying to post a good report.

·
Registered
374 Posts
you should put your little boat in spinney,that should do for browns.or go up to delaney butte and fish the north pond.i cant really think of other brown fisheries that are in the denver area,cept aurora res.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...

I'll keep Aurora on mind. The Delaneys are a bit far. I was hoping for something more in the rivers or creeks category along the front range. But once again, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or how bout this.. I hear some talk about some rivers out there that are WAY out there where people catch browns with rapalas. I'm hoping to do the same, but somewhere closer to home. I'll go anywhere within 2 hrs of the metro area. Anyone willing to cough up a hole?

1eyeReD

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
go to estes park, the browns below the dam are really nice, i use krocidiles in orange, or rainbow rapala , they will hammer the rapala , i also like the caddis fly on a fly rod, most of the browns are about 18 inches, ive caught smaller, and in lake estes my brother caught a 21 incher

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
1eyeReD said:
Or how bout this.. I hear some talk about some rivers out there that are WAY out there where people catch browns with rapalas. I'm hoping to do the same, but somewhere closer to home. I'll go anywhere within 2 hrs of the metro area. Anyone willing to cough up a hole?

1eyeReD
the ark between salida and canon city hold some good browns with a few bows if your lucky the ark just up from canon city might be at the edge of your 2 hr range, depending on where in denver your at, but then you got miles of river to fish along the highway and i have some buds that only use the rap's in there they say it keeps the little ones at bay

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kokaneeking said:
go to estes park, the browns below the dam are really nice, i use krocidiles in orange, or rainbow rapala , they will hammer the rapala , i also like the caddis fly on a fly rod, most of the browns are about 18 inches, ive caught smaller, and in lake estes my brother caught a 21 incher
Ah yes, Estes.. I'll definitely give this one a visit. Below the dam you say? How far down do you usually go?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yep

the majority of the river between canon city and salida is public and can be accessed right from the high way pull outs. i havent fished it this year (been hitting samller more remote stuff) but i used to start at parkdale and just car hop up the river hitting all the pull outs and fishing a little ways up or down and then move on i mainly worked the run from parkdale to cotopaxi just to make a loop back to westcliffe. i can pretty much count on a couple dozen browns thru that section any time mostly on panthers and or worms but if you thru some bigger baits or the raps you can pull some bigger fish out of there i hooked one 2 years ago in the gorge that was 24" if it was an inch but i fell off the rock i was standing on as i was reaching to grab him and made an unorthadoxed release!

if your interested PM and i can desribe some specific spots

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i fish the big pool below the dam and up to were the go kart track is , i like panther martins too and res and yellow, there is also lots of browns in lake estes go to the inlet by the powerplant and try worms or a kastmaster

·
Registered
391 Posts
Dillon Res use to have some monsters in it,but they made alot of mistakes that hurt the fishery.But there are still some very nice browns in there.Try Ten Mile inlet by the school,also one of my favorite spots is the Blue river inlet.Its only a hour away and you might be pleasantly suprised.Oh ya,The Blue river running into Green Mt is also worth a look. only a hour and a half and a ton of browns in there.Good luck and show a pic if you get one,they can be one of the most amazing looking fish.

lyn

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Hey 1eyered

In town I have caught Browns in Waterton and Bear Creek both above and below the reservoir...on Rapalas...

The Poudre and the Big Thompson...like someone said in October they run up to the powerplant on Lake Estes...the meadow streams in Morraine Park in the National Park also hold browns partial to Rapalas you can catch a bonus of Brook Trout here on Rapalas in floating size 5 and 7...

The Arkansas is one of the best Rapala rivers I have fished...have caught lots there...

Cochetopa (sp?) Creek by Gunnison a wonderful brown trout creek...lots of ask permission water...

North Delanney is the best lake by far...

West Lake and Dowdy also have good populations of Browns

Parvin in that area used to have some beauties too...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
We rip lip up on the Blue river in Brekinridge #7 brown trout split tail rapalas and the browns go nuts. The spawn is getting real close so anytime now through Oct. Aslo Tomahawk in Fairplay is decent for browns.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
There can be a nice run of big fish out of Spinney sometimes? There has to be enough flow down the Middle Fork so the fish can get over the sand bar at the inlet and get upstream. The Tomahawk area is traditional spawning area on the Middle Fork.

Antero used to be great for Browns in November! I would get them along the rock jetty by the boat ramp.

Browns love the worst weather possible! The cloudier and wet it is the better! The hour before sunrise (false dawn) is the best.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i have heard that the browns are more structure oriented then the other trout and can be found in better numbers and size near the rockier areas of lakes like at 11mile for example. has anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I've heard that, and seen it. Browns seem to act more like LMB's, sulking in cover and then blowing up on lures/food that comes by. I've caught some good ones back east drifting rapalas along undercut banks and log jams, even caught a few pitching a small plastic worm into log jams. Browns just scream FALL to me.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
They are more of an ambush feeder than other trout. Total predators! I also happen think that wild Browns are the smartest fish there is?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Yeah roadkill...they love rocks...I have had a lot of luck in the rocky islands of eleven mile...the rocky shorelines at Hebgan Lake in Montana...rocky areas at Blue Mesa...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Another great trip is the Miracle Mile above Pathfinder. You can rent cabins at the Miracle Mile Ranch. Go up there around Thanksgiving on into December. There is a big spawning run out of Pathfinder. You can fish Raps, streamers, spinners, egg sacs, whatever you like? Lots of nice bows and Cutts in there eating the eggs also!

Man I can't wait for the weather to get cold!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts