Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the time of year to catch beautiful browns. who's been catchin them where?
i fished for them almost two weeks ago on the north saint vrain. we were catchin, but they weren't even close to spawning yet. they were agressive and pretty tho. but i hear that on the colorado they are in full color.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a good trip for browns on the Rio Grande today. (The conejos has been rough so i decided to make a change) I landed one 17incher hook and lost a 2nd fish and watched 2 other large browns chase my streamer and then turn away. It is fun seeing these big fish on the shallow banks. How long do you guys think the spawning will last?

Flies: zonkers, slump busters trailing heavy weighted flies worked well.
Leader: 3x and 0x tippet

N

·
0 Posts
Count on the spawn(river depending) to trickle out over the next couple of weeks.
Went to spinney on Sat(snowed). Did well witha 22 incher being the biggest. Ran into a guy who had a picture of easily a 27-28incher on his digi. Huge fish. Heard from a couple of buddies that the blue is fishing well right now.

N

·
0 Posts
He pulled that fish out of one of the first holes below the salmon breaks.
Didn't see him catch it, but he had the pic.
All of our fish were on the upper stretch.

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Never see many flailers down there,but the bait water from above the Chutes to above Strontia Spriongs holds some nifty browns in fall. They come out of Strontia.

F

·
0 Posts
the big thompson is a very over looked brown trout fishery. The biggest I've caught is 23' but have hooked into a couple that were bigger. I'm not a great fly fisherman but olive wooly buggers alway seem to get savage strikes from these estes park browns.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Roaring Fork, Gunnison, Arkansas and South Platte above 11 mile can hold there own. Really the North Platte above or below the Pathfinder is probably the best for size.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
give me the colorado any day. Already have caught a brown 8# and lost a 10 # the next time out. Couple that with plenty nice browns and lots of bows in the 1-4 pound range and its a pretty fun time. The spawn will continue on the lower colorado until late dec. Is just starting to get underway now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
TFB- any suggestions on Colorado River locations that you'd be willing to share? I've fished above Dotsero about a month ago and did fairly well with hopper dropper rig. Went back the following week and didn't have the same fortune. I figure that some of the lower sections have Browns spawn later than upper sections. Thanks for any info!

I tried above Strontia Springs last week and only hooked into rainbows. Had some luck as well on the Arkansas. Was really really windy on Sunday.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Sup
Sorry I didn't post earlier.
I prefer the grizzly creek area to the new castle area. Grizzly creek is good for size only this time of year, the rest of the year it is good for numbers besides the dead of winter. In the dead of winter I prefer deep sandy holes. When you find one fish in the winter, you will find more. Course, the bows prefer the sandy deep areas.
Of course, I'm a worm fisherman so I will probably be more successful than a flyfisherman on these sections of rivers, mostly because of the power of the current and deep holes. If you insist on flyfishing, slowly fishing weighted nymphs works well on shallower sandbars.
Remember; browns =fast, shallow rocky areas
bows= slow, deep, sandy areas.

·
Registered
578 Posts
fishinguitars said:
the big thompson is a very over looked brown trout fishery.  The biggest I've caught is 23' but have hooked into a couple that were bigger.  I'm not a great fly fisherman but olive wooly buggers alway seem to get savage strikes from these estes park browns.
You got that right! I live in Loveland so I have fished the Big T. a lot and have pulled some nice browns out of there, even down around Namaqua Park.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
last weekend (sunday the 13th) i did very well with browns on the south st. vrain with spinners and worms. they are in full spawn right now. i opened a female who still had eggs and i saw several fish sitting over beds. the fish on the vrain are in full color and very agressive. right now there is ice on the river, but with a little warm spell, we'll be back on it.

as far as the colorado, i was at pumphouse a few weeks back and the browns were starting there as well, lots of eggs in the river. fly guys do as well if not better up there.
cheers, happy browns.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Gosh, ya'll are making me jealous. I miss being able to hit the brown spawn this time of year. Unfortunately I'll be in TN accept for thanksgiving and Christmas pretty much strait through till May. If I've learned anything about browns it?s that they get really pissed off during the spawn. Their behavior starts to resemble pike more then trout. This is my favorite time to throw any large streamer and expect it to get thumped.

I

·
0 Posts
All im gonna say is the DREAM STREAM, when you think browns think dream stream, it cant be beat.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Irishman said:
when you think browns think dream stream, it cant be beat.
gunnison river in the gorge. nuff said. dream stream is good though.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The dream steam is always fun for streamer fishing. Believe it or not my best fly became a tarpon fly this season....go figure. I just can't stand the crowds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts