Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So It is my Wife's B-Day this weekend and I want to take her for a drive and possibly a hike through the mountains to see the Beautiful Aspen trees.

I was wondering if anyone has been up to a location that is relatively close to Denver and color's are peaking or close to it?

Last year i ended up driving all around only to find a few small patches of changing Aspens. This year i was hoping to find a place with massive quantities of Aspens. And hopefully a good amount of color's ranging from yellow to red. Last year all we saw was yellow.

A short(1-3 mile) hike would be really cool if we were able to walk through Aspen trees and maybe get good views of them from the top of a hill/mountain.

Obviously if this location exists with fishing on or near the hike would be ideal.. but not required. :)

I did do some searches both on here and google and found some places.. But I have no idea the current status of the color change in those area's and would like to have an actually recent update.

BTW, Here is a great link I came across:
http://www.mycolorado.org/fall_drives.html

Thanks in Advance, Ricky

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
We're heading up the poudre canyon tomorrow. Saw on 9news that the colors up that way are starting up pretty good. Gotta go up like 45 or so miles for the best spots this side of cameron pass, but thats the first area to be changing or so I've heard.

Rob

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slimer said:
We're heading up the poudre canyon tomorrow. Saw on 9news that the colors up that way are starting up pretty good. Gotta go up like 45 or so miles for the best spots this side of cameron pass, but thats the first area to be changing or so I've heard.

Rob
Sweet i will do some googling to determine where that is LOL

I may not be going till Sunday.. Maybe let me know how it was when you get back if you don't mind?

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
RVinson said:
Slimer said:

Rob
Sweet i will do some googling to determine where that is LOL

I may not be going till Sunday.. Maybe let me know how it was when you get back if you don't mind?
Best spots I've seen are on the south side, north facing mountains, near Elephant mountain or something... The peaks there rise up like 1000 - 1500 feet above the canyon or so and are full of aspens so lots of colors.

Rob

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Seems to have turned early this year Vail pass and kenosha pass were and are both in full color! (Since last weekend).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Stupid ass peeps on 285 causing backups, and wrecks. Gawd there just leaves, I know I live here and flat landers have to have an excuse to act stupid. So enjoy, the Great Spirt does it every Year.
BUT BE CAREFUL.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys.. Me and the wife and kids hi peak-to-peak Hwy yesterday and had a great time.. Some very cool colors going on right now!!

Once the wife uploads the pics. I will share them :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts