Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I?m looking for recommendations on which still waters to focus on for fall fly-fishing this year. I?d sure like to get into some Lakers as well. I?ve had some success in the past with fall Lakers at Jefferson and big Rainbows at Spinney. I did find that although the fish I catch in Spinney in the late fall are bigger, the actions can get a little slow (and cold) sometimes. I wonder how Eleven Mile would be with a fast sinking line and streamers this time of year.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was at Spinney the 7th, kinda slow fish were more interested in suspened buggers and calibetis patterns but I did catch a few stripping. 11 mile would be worth a try but the action is almost alway slower at least for me. I didn't see any hatching so I would think it would be as good off shore as it would from a boat. I catch some lakes fly fishing in the spring, if you can find some shallow it could be good but the spring is when there more willing to run up inlets and are in shallower water.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Spinney is good for site fishing by walking the shore (saves lots of wasted casting). Try using cone head buggers and you may tap a pike or two as well. For something different - fall wipers, and tiger muskie/pike. Follow the Kokanee out of the lakes and all kinds of action can happen.

~ Tight lines

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
A lot of lakes are good in the Fall, since the fish are fattening up for the winter.

·
Registered
833 Posts
You owe yourself a run up to Stagecoach. Second choice would be Lake John. North Delaney this time of year
for the big browns but it's hit and miss.
Stagecoach for good numbers and size.

F

·
0 Posts
I've always done well below stagecoach fishing the yampa .....18-20 inch fish aren't uncommon

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tubadude said:
Spinney is good for site fishing by walking the shore (saves lots of wasted casting). Try using cone head buggers and you may tap a pike or two as well. For something different - fall wipers, and tiger muskie/pike. Follow the Kokanee out of the lakes and all kinds of action can happen.

~ Tight lines
That's a cool idea. Wipers. I have yet to try for wipers in Colorado.

Other ideas great as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fishinguitars said:
I've always done well below stagecoach fishing the yampa .....18-20 inch fish aren't uncommon
I'd love to fish there but the drive is long for a one day trip from Denver. Right?

·
Registered
833 Posts
2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on where you are and how fast you drive. How many of you haul xxx to get to your fishing destinations like me ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I fished Tarryall the last day of my recent Colorado trip (10/11/05) The weather was cool and breezy but the fish cooperated. I fished right next to the boatramp and there was NOONE else at the reservoir!! Thank goodness for weekdays and fall.
I have done well here this year with spinner baits, but chose to fly fish this day. I caught about 15 rainbows in a couple hours, all on beadhead pheasant tails and orange scuds. I was fishing a wulff as my dry with about 36" of dropper to the wet fly. Though not huge, (Most were between 10 and 13") the fish were agressive and fat.
I had a wonderful late afternoon and hopefully the ice won't be in yet when I return on Nov. 8th.
I did well with the same rig/setup at Molas Lake also but that's a long ride from the frontrange areas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whadley said:
I fished Tarryall the last day of my recent Colorado trip (10/11/05) The weather was cool and breezy but the fish cooperated. I fished right next to the boatramp and there was NOONE else at the reservoir!! Thank goodness for weekdays and fall.
I have done well here this year with spinner baits, but chose to fly fish this day. I caught about 15 rainbows in a couple hours, all on beadhead pheasant tails and orange scuds. I was fishing a wulff as my dry with about 36" of dropper to the wet fly. Though not huge, (Most were between 10 and 13") the fish were agressive and fat.
I had a wonderful late afternoon and hopefully the ice won't be in yet when I return on Nov. 8th.
I did well with the same rig/setup at Molas Lake also but that's a long ride from the frontrange areas.
Hey, that's an interesting idea. Last time I was there was before it was drained. I might just have to check it out. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
16,693 Posts
Stagecoach is like 180 miles from Aurora. If you can do that in 2 hrs,you are an amazing driver!

Y

·
0 Posts
Stagecoach= 3-1/2 hours for me with the boat and I drive fast...probably 3 without the boat and I live on the north side of Denver close to I-76. 6 hours during an icefishing trip when we hit a snowstorm and ski traffic at the same time on the way back...great fishing though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts