Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am headed to Steamboat this weekend for a combo elk scouting/fishing trip. I have heard good things about the Yampa, but never fished it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which section of the river would be best to target Browns at this time of year? I am not looking for GPS points, and general info would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just fished the Yampa on the 18th of Sept just outside of town above the bridge on the south side. Rabbit ear pass side hooked into a hog bow close to 24" and lost it at the net bc it wouldn't fit in. Caught nice brown up in that area as well. I was running the slump buster in brown. Caught some good fish on that. Get there early if your fishing on the weekend and start stripping. When pressure hits the river alot of the bigger ones become more skiddish. Alos try the area around the ski jump behind the bars. Good luck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to try that area.

Can you give me any feedback on the Elk River north of SB? It seems like there is a good amount of access.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No i havent fished the elk but you can go into town and talk to any one of the three fly shops and there more than welcome to help you out. What i was told about the elk was, that would be a good place to break in my 2wt, but instead i hit the inlit streams up in the Flat tops. You just take hwy130 out to the town of yampa and then cut through town to the wilderness area. Nice area with about 3 lakes and lost of nice cutties and some brookies as well. Best of luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts