Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out fishing some since the last trip up north. It has been a fun fall to say the least. I did some nymphing at the toilet bowl for kicks but most of my fishing I have tried to throw streamers 8)

Made a trip to the Juan with a buddy and was able to catch fish on nymphs, dries and streamers. (more to come on that)

Gotta say throwing streamers and trying figure out what retrieve works best is a bit challenging. It seems each fish has its own desire of what they want in your retrieve. Some want it fast and furious while others like it sitting on the bottom with very little twitches to slow and steady and so on.

But once you get their attention it seems like you got'em.....,well sometimes :dizzy:

This fish is from the Juan. Caught him about 1605. released him cleaned up my fly and gear. Walked up to the top of the pool and kick a fish into the riffles so I chuck the fly at it and...

catch him again at 1612. Same fly same fish same hole(basically).

Seems like the streamer bite has slowed for now but will try again soon.

Not looking forward to midge fishing the next 3-4months but will look forward to warmer weather and rising fish by then.

Happy Holidays to all.

Thanks for viewing.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Having a small net for pics is the new "stiff arm" technique!

I'm going to start taking pics of fish next to my little minnow net :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Those are tanks man, looks like you're dialed in. Got to get to throwing streamers someday!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having a small net for pics is the new "stiff arm" technique!

I'm going to start taking pics of fish next to my little minnow net :D
LOL!

That's my secret, don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need a bigger net! Haha

I have asked for one for Christmas, hint hint :smile:

Way to go CF, some beautiful fish there! I actually like midge fishing..:)
I don't mind midge fishin, especially sight fishin with them. Kinda like whompuscat talked about in one of his reports. I enjoy all types of fly fishin and really get a kick out of watching the take with any style be it midge, dries, or streamers.

Those are tanks man, looks like you're dialed in. Got to get to throwing streamers someday!
You won't regret it but man the shoulder seems to take a beating from it. And sometimes the back of the head. Hence chuck and duck. :eek:

PS

the white line on the handle of my net is a 22" mark.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Slimers worth catching! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Slimers worth catching! :thumb:
I would like to catch some other species but I need a guide :noidea: You offering?

You would have to come out of retirement. :boink:

:thumb:;D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I would like to catch some other species but I need a guide :noidea: You offering?

You would have to come out of retirement. :boink:

:thumb:;D
Just go out of state! ;) It's tough getting into big walleyes (and big wipers) in CO. To tell you the truth, you (and I) are looking at a 3:1 skunk to success ratio on those big walleye hunts, and maybe 8:1 success on an MA class walleye. Feel free to PM me if you ever feel like chasing wipers and walleyes and want some pointers. BTW, I'm just BSing about the "slimers." I wouldn't call those slimers; they are legit game fish!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just go out of state! ;) It's tough getting into big walleyes (and big wipers) in CO. To tell you the truth, you (and I) are looking at a 3:1 skunk to success ratio on those big walleye hunts, and maybe 8:1 success on an MA class walleye. Feel free to PM me if you ever feel like chasing wipers and walleyes and want some pointers. BTW, I'm just BSing about the "slimers." I wouldn't call those slimers; they are legit game fish!
Thanks AO! I will admit I truely love fishing for trout, it what got me into fishing and love where it takes me fishing for them, like into the mountains. And it is convenient here in CO.

But also admit that getting into some other species is becoming a bigger desire of mine. Like targeting carp this last spring was a blast. I have fished for pike and smallies, not as much as I did yrs ago but that was on the Yampa when I think it was worth fishing for them.

Will hit you up on your offer there sir and I do appreciate it.

BTW
I take no offense to snot rockets , slimers or any other derogatory term for troutskis. They are just fish, not my mom8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts