Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with fishing for walleyes in the fall? I heard they come in to shallower water this time of year for a short period, but have never really targeted them from shore like i have in the spring....if you have any tips throw them my way.... ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'd message Kirby he is a Fall Walleye guy.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
This is the time of year I have always done well on walleye with cranks-especially if its overcast and theres a little wind. Match the hatch-I throw a smaller crank and gradually increase the size as the fall progresses. Then when the water temps drop below 50 I go to vertical jigging-moving out from 20-30 ft to 60 or even 70 ft as winter progresses.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I love Fall Walleyes!! They really seem to turn on in the fall for Crankbaits and suspending Stick Baits, Rapalas and Rouges. I have my best luck shallow in the rocks, right after dark.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Real nice fish you got there. I also love to throw sus jerks in the fall-LC's, and Rogues.

S

·
0 Posts
NICE "eye" Fishlip! Is this a recent catch and where did you catch it?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
[quote="Fishaholic" ]
[/quote]

That fish was caught last year on a Rapala Husky Jerk in about 4' of water. It was caught and released in Wyoming, I am sorry but I will not give up the location, some places you just don't give up!

I hope to be catching a few more that size or bigger this year. In the fall it seems the bait size in relation to the Walleye size is more relevant than any other time of year. The big fish are out looking for a big meal, maybe this is true all year long and I just have the most access to these larger fish in the fall, but big slow worked baits in the cold autumn nights seem to always produce bigger fish.

S

·
0 Posts
You got that right! Fatten up for the winter months and expend as little energy as possible. Good luck and i hope to do the same!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
FishLip said:
[quote="Fishaholic" ]
That fish was caught last year on a Rapala Husky Jerk in about 4' of water. It was caught and released in Wyoming, I am sorry but I will not give up the location, some places you just don't give up!

I hope to be catching a few more that size or bigger this year. In the fall it seems the bait size in relation to the Walleye size is more relevant than any other time of year. The big fish are out looking for a big meal, maybe this is true all year long and I just have the most access to these larger fish in the fall, but big slow worked baits in the cold autumn nights seem to always produce bigger fish.
[/quote]

Wyoming is hardly a secret, LOL.

The second largest Eye I have caught at Glendo swallowed a 6" Rebel floater at midnight. They say they prefer forage 1/4 their own size. They stock Seminoe and Pathfinder with 10" trout in the fall to avoid the teeth!

Last fall we were catching alot of Eye's slabbing spoons in about 30' on top of humps at Chatfield. The usual Fall pattern. Then Eric stumbled upon a bunch of nice eye's feeing on shad in 5' of water, along a sand beach. Next day, they were back on the humps and we couldn't buy a fish shallow?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmmm...ok, I guess ill give it a try this weekend and see what will turn up...shallow water it is.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Used to fish the one dam in particular at Horsetooth in the fall and do pretty well ...but now, for safety reasons, I am a threat to be out there I guess. ??? ??? ??? How many other dams are no longer fishable from shore for security reasons, WTF???

My experience is that fall is a good time of year for shore fishing with cranks for quality fish. Better odds with the water temps. and the oncoming winter. They are still eyes though and fishing will be hit or miss. Look at Neal's report on Aurora this week, perfect fall conditions, right place, right time and yet no luck. But, if you find the right window and your in the right location using the right method, can be really good. I think mostly it allows us bank fisherman a much better chance at quality fish. As far as them being shallow just because it's fall...well we catch them reguraly in the summer in less than 8 FOW during the day. This time of year is like spring where you have a shot at the big females at times in water where you can get at them.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Me and my bro have always wondered about the fall walleye thing so we are gonna hit Nee Grande on the 28th of oct. It closes to fishing Nov.1st for duck hunting....

S

·
0 Posts
I will be trying Aurora and Cherry Creek all weekend but mainly nightime at the creek. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
a few are being caught deep jigging in 20 to 40 fow, and a few are being caught casting lures in 5 to 15 fow. the main problem is finding them. the best time is 1 hour b4 sun up and 1 hour b4 sun set to 2 hours after.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts