Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For father's day my wife wanted me to have a nice long fishing day. Since I have only fished the colo springs area I thought this would be a good chance to hit something a little further from home. I've read that people have good luck at Chatfield.

Any suggestions on locations?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Search the archives

You'll find posts that, with a little work, are relatively easy to figure out where people are catching. Another thing I like to do is go on Youtube and watch ice fishing videos of where people are at on certain bodies of water and then jump on Google maps and looks for points I can recognize from the vids.

Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search the archives

You'll find posts that, with a little work, are relatively easy to figure out where people are catching. Another thing I like to do is go on Youtube and watch ice fishing videos of where people are at on certain bodies of water and then jump on Google maps and looks for points I can recognize from the vids.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I will do some more research and see what I can glean.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I would hit 11 mile instead. Same distance as Chatty from the Springs but fishes better from shore. Chatfield is kinda of tough from shore for quality fish.

Plus father's day will be a Zoo at Chatty, 11 mile will be busy but not like Chatty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would hit 11 mile instead. Same distance as Chatty from the Springs but fishes better from shore. Chatfield is kinda of tough from shore for quality fish.

Plus father's day will be a Zoo at Chatty, 11 mile will be busy but not like Chatty.
Valid point. I guess I should have titled this "Where the hell should I go fishing for Father's Day?". Thanks for the advice. I have wanted to hit 11 mile too, so definitely not a bad option. Is there decent room to fly fish from shore? I don't mind wading up to my knees if need be, but I can't afford waders yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gander mountain has waders 50% off right now if you would like new ones instead.
Is that in store only? or online as well? I don't see anything about half off waders online.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John Martin fishes good from shore.
Its further but no traffic 70+ mph between small towns on 50.
A little too far for me this weekend. I will keep that in mind for future trips though!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
For father's day my wife wanted me to have a nice long fishing day. Since I have only fished the colo springs area I thought this would be a good chance to hit something a little further from home. I've read that people have good luck at Chatfield.

Any suggestions on locations?

Thanks in advance.
Go east.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No body contact allowed at 11-mile or Spinney so you must use waders to wade in.
Thanks for the heads up Chris! Did not know that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As hot as it is, I'd recommend heading for higher ground.
No joke. It was cooking up at 11 mile and no one was pulling anything out of the water. I could only go so far because I had my 5 year old with me. It's tough to move around with the little guy. We got skunked but had fun anyway. How was everyone's father's day?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts