Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm headed to Cuba to chase some tails and I'm starting to tie for the trip... Wondering what ever ones favorite bonefish and tarpon choices are... Always looking for new patterns..

Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry guys.... I hear it sucks out there.. The rum taste like crap and fish are few and far between... I hope we still can be friends....

I really hate going... :mad:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got so excited I forgot to answer your question.

Bonefish: match the color of the bottom. I like flies with silly legs that stand up and move when the fly is stationary. All the usual's are proven (Crazy Charlie, crabs, etc.) and you'll want a combination of sizes and flies with different weights: no bead, bead head, lead head. Ask your guide service what they recommend.

Tarpon: Toad fly ...plus all the standards. i really like the 3" RM Bay Anchovy. I've caught countless species on it including trout in the DS. It imitates all kinds of slim baitfish. Get a copy of Tying Contemporary Saltwater Flies and its on page 34.

Post reports when you get back!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Avalon is taking care of a lot of the travel arrangments. We fly in to Cancun and then to Havana. Were going out to righ an article for Blood Knot Magazine.

It should be fun, Jim Klug will be out there the same time shooting the next Confluence films movie.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You say you are looking for partners. When are you going? How many in your party? And When? Are you flying in through Mexico or Jamaica? Are the flights already booked?

As far as flies--go see Terry at Anglers All. I know they get bashed here, but he is a good guy, and generous with info. He steered me towards a half dozen patterns for the Caymans and the Bahamas and they are all productive. And he's a good guy to talk to. Knows ocean fishing. Although he will probably try to talk you into one of his junkets to Cancun where they have 50 fish days.

Anyway, let me know when you are going, with whom, etc...I just may join in.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Like everyone else here, I'm so jealous! Bring me back some Cohibas por favor. O0

Sorry I can't help with flies. Never fished the salt.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I too would like to hear more about how you're getting on to the island. I really would like to visit Cuba, I hear it's just beautiful! I'm sure the fishing is really good too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There is an article on Cuban fishing (with fly pattern suggestions- can't get any more specific than that!) in the latest FlyFisherman magazine. There's an in depth tying tutorial for the very sucessful shrimp patterm being used for the Cuban Permit. Generally, for bones you can't go wrong with a tan Gotcha, silver/white Charlie and a small (dime/nickel sized body) Merkin. For Tarps, you want your fly to look alive. Zonkers work fine but they're heavy to cast. Stick with feather streamers/cockroach variations- both splayed and mated tight.

Maybe this will increase your anticipation. I just got back from bonefishing in the Bahamas.

Hope you have a great time and sorry for the mini hijack.

ratt

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Okay, I'm also jealous beyond all get-out. Sounds like the guys are right on it though.

And any of the classic Stu Apte patterns. That dude *knows* tarpon. (Crazy enough to land them by himself on a boat for decades.) His patterns aren't hard to tie, but are proven successes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts