Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like to drill two holes and jig a kastmaster in one and in the other hole i have two tiny jigs with different baits on each. if i am laker fishing i fish with just a chunk of sucker on one and tube jig on the other

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I havn't ice fished in years but always had great luck on a teardrop jig and minnow.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
For trout at 11-mile I start with a bright green Lazer jig/piece of worm on 1 rod On the other I usually begin jigging a silver/orange kasty.I always bring several spare rods rigged up differently, one with a small treble for p-bait,another one with a tube jig,etc.
For denver-area lakes or other warmwater type lakes,I have 1 rod with a light wire hook and small splitshot for a minnow.I usually jig a swedish pimple with the other rod. of course there are many,many variations.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i like airplane jigs for trout with a wax worm or mealworm, and i also like using a small treble hook with a spawn sack with a split shot for lakers or sucker meat, kastamasters tipped with sucker meat always works for me too, when i fish for kokanee i use a small pink jig with wax worms, or corn, i also like jigging for them with kastmasters, and a variety of spoons, my favorite early ice lake is dillion, i also like willow creek

Y

·
0 Posts
I have only been ice fishing for two years , and have only fished for trout, kokanee and pike, but I have caught over half of my fish on a small pink rat finkee tipped with a waxworm or 1/2 mealworm dropped 2" below a blue/silver kastmaster. This year I will have to try the orange/silver kasty like slayerfish. I also like the jigging rapala in perch color tipped with salmon eggs.

Can't wait to hit the mile this year!! I think this year I will try closer to the inlet. I have tried all over the lake except the inlet. Had a big one on near Rocking Chair last year and just as I got it out of the hole it snapped the rat finkee in 1/2 and went back down the whole....it was my last trip of the season and I still dream about it....was not used to hooking a fish that big and did not have my drag set correctly...Damn!! Now if I could only hook into a pike on my tip-up...that would make my year.

Skaguay is where I catch the most fish(trout)....down by the inlet ...great action in the morning. I also like Dillion for the first trip of the season. ..this year i am going to keep the koke eggs and try to make spawn sacks..sounds like they work good.

F

·
0 Posts
this is gonna be the first year I try it ...maybe ill be able to talk one of you guys into showing me the ropes ...so my big butt doesnt fall through the ice .....

·
Banned
487 Posts
kokaneeking said:
i was wondering if anyone has had any luck with northerns threw the ice ?
I usually catch a couple per trip at Crawford Lake in Western CO. Some of them bite the small jigs and waxworms I'm using for perch and crappie. Most of the ones I catch are on my tip ups.
I use a whole dead anchovy about 6" or a small, dead perch. I tie a swivel to the end of my tip up line, then about a 3 foot leader of 15 pound fluorocarbon. Then I slide on a #6 gamakatsu treble but don't tie it on. Then on the end of the line, I tie on another #6 gammy. I will put a split shot on the line to sink the bait, then set the flag. When the flag pops up, make sure the spool is spinning and the pike has the bait. If you don't see it spin within a minute or two, pick it up and feel for weight. If you don't feel it, jig it a little before you check the bait and reset it.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Trout - I use a very small spoon like a custom jigs and spins stinger or lindy frostee jigging spoon. I tip on a small piece of nightcrawler and lightly jig the whole water column by five foot increments. Best depth is about 10- 20 feet. On a second rod, I put on a plain hook and about 1/4 of a nightcrawler. Nightcrawlers work best for trout. Another great lure is the shrimpo or ratso, tipped with a small piece of crawler or a waxworm.

Lake Trout - I use tube jigs tipped with a small piece of anchovy on both rods. One is a still rod. The other I just very lightly jig with long pauses right on the bottom in 25 -50 feet of water. The still rod gets a lot of hits too. Two and a half inch to four inch white or chartreuse tubes are best. Another great lake trout lure is a small white marabou jig, tipped with sucker or anchovy. That often will outproduce a tube.

All Panfish - I use very small spoons or small plastics like a shrimpo, ratso, or nuclear ant. Always tip with a waxy or better yet, a maggot.

Pike - Generally I set out a tip up with a dead anchovy and then jig for panfish or trout, depending on what is in the lake. Sometimes the pike will hit your jigs, but usually you will get a couple strikes per day in a good spot on the tipups.

Walleye - Jigging Rapalas all the way, tipped with a very small minnow. The #3 and #5 are the best size.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Only one way to go...tube jigs. They will catch any species, in any lake in the state.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts