Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of building a bass boat. It would of course be a long and difficult task with a high probability of failure. ::)

I was wondering if anyone had ideas of what features to look at including. Features such as a co-angler rod ramp, a recessed foot control on the trolling motor, things of that sort.

I know that I could get a used boat cheap. It has more to do with my enjoyment of designing things than of wanting to do it cheap. I will most likely never get around to it, but it is a fun thing to contemplate at any rate.

SS

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Just a thought..but probably Ima thinking the plug. ;) :D

D.J.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
walleye seeker said:
obviously you have never built a boat, DON"T
walleye seeker, have you built a boat? You sound pretty down on the idea. ???

Like I said, I am just in the dreaming phase. :)

djfisherman2 said:
Just a thought..but probably Ima thinking the plug. ;) :D

D.J.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Yer not kidding! Did that one once. It is a right of passage. Right up there with not trimming up the big motor and dragging the skeg all the way up the ramp or trying to load the boat without stowing the trolling motor... :p

Cajun said:
Every fishing boat must have a swivel beer holder that self levels. Rod holders are 2nd to that. ;)
Will take that under advisement... ;)

SS

·
Registered
444 Posts
i have built Grady White's, Fountains, and World Class Cat's way back when i was younger. talk about a pain in the butt!! i hope time and patience are on your side, oh and a little luck will defenitly help. what type of hull are you thinking? starting with a basic john boat and adding to it, or an alum. v-hull adding to it is alot harder then one would think. good luck!

W

·
0 Posts
swimbait said:
I am thinking of building a bass boat. It would of course be a long and difficult task with a high probability of failure. ::)

I was wondering if anyone had ideas of what features to look at including. Features such as a co-angler rod ramp, a recessed foot control on the trolling motor, things of that sort.

I know that I could get a used boat cheap. It has more to do with my enjoyment of designing things than of wanting to do it cheap. I will most likely never get around to it, but it is a fun thing to contemplate at any rate.

SS
I have made a vow to myself that someday I will build a boat. I'd like a simple stitch and glue 17'-18' dory.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Heated and refrigerated bait and live well.
Heater vents.
Sliding seats on tracks that also swivel.
Tilting steering wheel.
Remote steering for the big motor.
power washdown.
weather station.
automatic drift sock system.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
massive casting decks
rod storage for 8' + rods
secondary electrical harness with quick connects
dual bilge pumps
lots of hidden storage

I could go on.............

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
[[/quote]

walleye seeker, have you built a boat? You sound pretty down on the idea. ???

[/quote]

yes i have, 2 of them. in the late 40s when you are young and broke thats the only way to own one. you could buy the plans for one from popular mechanics for $2. where i lived there were several lakes, no ramps,no docks, you put it in the back of a truck, got as close as you could to the water, without getting stuck in the mud. then you put it on the ground and pushed it to the water, then you loaded it and pushed it into the water. it was much easier to take it out, you just took the anchor line to the truck and pulled it out if the truck wasn't stuck in the mud.

W

·
0 Posts
walleye seeker said:
walleye seeker, have you built a boat? You sound pretty down on the idea. ???[/quote]

yes i have, 2 of them. in the late 40s when you are young and broke thats the only way to own one. you could buy the plans for one from popular mechanics for $2. where i lived there were several lakes, no ramps,no docks, you put it in the back of a truck, got as close as you could to the water, without getting stuck in the mud. then you put it on the ground and pushed it to the water, then you loaded it and pushed it into the water. it was much easier to take it out, you just took the anchor line to the truck and pulled it out if the truck wasn't stuck in the mud.
[/quote]

That's how I like to roll!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
A windshield! A forward v-hull, so the boat tracks well and doens't get pushed around as much. Rod and tackle lockers. Interior illumination. Open floor plan.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FLYFISHGEEK said:
massive casting decks
rod storage for 8' + rods
secondary electrical harness with quick connects
dual bilge pumps
lots of hidden storage

I could go on.............
All great stuff. I was thinking nine foot locker... I don't have to worry about tournament regulations.
earplug said:
Heated and refrigerated bait and live well.
Heater vents.
Sliding seats on tracks that also swivel.
Tilting steering wheel.
Remote steering for the big motor.
power washdown.
weather station.
automatic drift sock system.
I like the drift sock idea. Wind am no fun. I think I might need to team up with MIT or something for some of that stuff...

TthePikester said:
A 6" hole in the bottom to pee in so you don't have to lean over the side!!!
HHmmm... still young enough to hold my water, but by the time that this gets gone, it might not be a bad idea... :p

Fistfullafish said:
The ultimate design for a tangle free rod locker.
I think cold fusion may be easier than this. ^

walleye seeker said:
Wow... when men were men! :eek:

Sounds like enough to give anyone pause. I might just stick with sketches... :-X

SS

1 - 20 of 68 Posts