Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about sharing some of your favorite fish recipes?

1. type/species of fish (i.e. rainbow trout, walleye, catfish, etc.)
2. type of cleaning/processing (i.e. fillet, whole, etc.)
3. type of prep or seasoning (i.e. marinade, rub, spices, batter, etc.)
4. type of cooking (i.e. grill, bake, deep fry, smoke, etc.)
5. cooking instructions
6. serving/eating info

This could get interesting and delicious!

Many thanks in advance.

tomcat

·
Registered
60 Posts
I actually just bought a new game and game fish cookbook a couple of weeks ago. It's written by Sylvia Bashline. I guess she hunts and fishes quite a bit and her and her family pretty much eat whatever they don't release. She has some good intros to each diff item/animal where it even gives some tips on catching them or some background history. She claims that the simplest method of cooking for fish is the best b/c you don't want to overwhelm the flavor I guess. It's pretty cool I'm pretty psyched to try out some of these recipes... now if I could only get this skunk off my back and at least catch a trout or catfish or something! I'll let you guys know if any are really noteworthy and post the recipe once I'm finally able to try them.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Allow me to share a tip, rather than a recipe....

If you are breading fish to fry, do NOT salt the FISH or the BREADING mix...you will be amazed at the difference in how the breading will stick to the meat!

The salt causes the meat to steam and release more water and that makes breading, (and yes, even batters), fall off the fish...

Make sure to salt the fish as soon as you pull it out of the grease, while it's still shiny and wett, so the salt will stick to it!

·
Registered
103 Posts
hmmmmm
1-salmonoid
2-fillet, skin on
3-marinade
4-smoke
5-1 part soy sauce
  1 part oj
  1/2 part brown sugar
  1/2 part cracked black pepper
mix to dissolve the sugar, marinate the fillets under refrigeration an hour or two
fire up the smoker, smoke with the skin side down until internal temp is at least 140 degrees or until fillet is firm to the touch
6-friends, and crackers, i like beer too :D
no such thing as too simple, plenty more where that one came from

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Iron Chef,
Try curin some salmon for about 24 hours layered in kosher salt and brown sugar and cracked pepper...stack the steaks ro fillets, wrap it all in saran wrap, (air tight), and just filp it over a couple times over a 24 hour period..smoke that and tell me you don't want some more!

You guys are right!

Simple is KEY.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
Eyeguy,

I agree - simple is key.

I don't eat a lot of fish, but not much can beat fresh trout taken out of a cold mountain lake.   8)

My favorite is very simple - cut the head off and gut a trout.  Put your filet knife in the anal vent and cut just through the skin to the jaw without piercing any of the innards.  Then cut down from just behind the head following the rear edge of the gills about 3/4 of the way through the fish.  Then grab the head and pull down and back.  The head and entrails will all come out in one pull if you did it right.   Use your fingernail (works better than a knife) and scrape out the bloodline that runs along the spine and flush with water until it is all gone.  Put a pat of butter (margarine if you must, but it's not as good) inside the cleaned out body cavity and double wrap with foil.

Place it in the campfire.  Yes, I said "in" the campfire, not "on" the fire.   ???

The double wrapped fish is protected from the flames and will not burn (unless you leave it way too long!).  I generally give it 10-15 minutes for a 15" fish in a nice hot bed of coals.  Adjust accordingly for fish size/coal temperature.  Don't worry about turning it - if you placed it inthe fire and not on the fire, you are getting a nice, even heat distribution.

Pull the fish out of the fire with some tongs or those neat silicone heat gloves and unwrap.

The skin sticks to the foil - it pulls away easily.  Grab the tail and you will pull out the entire skeleton and every bone along with it.   8)  Then salt to taste.

Enjoy!   :p

Ken 
I usually add some things to that like sliced potatoes and fry some eggs thats my morning recipe.

Here are my recipes:

Camping:

Ingredients
1 12 oz can light Beer
1 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 cup Flour seperate from the other one

Directions
Pour the beer into a large bowl. Add the 1 1/2 cup flour, salt, and paprika into the beer, whisking until the batter is light and frothy. Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a frying kettle. Ideal tempature is 360-375F but since its hard to tell camping just guess, quickly dredge the fish with the other cup of flour, shaking of excess then dip in the beer batter, coating well, and drop them into the hot oil. When they are brown on one side - less than 1 minute - turn and brown them on the other side. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with lemon wedges.

Non Camping Recipe

Ingredients
2 Eggs, separated
3/4 cup Beer, room temperature
2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
3/4 cup Flour
1 1/2 Tbsp Salt

Directions
To prepare, place flour in a mixing bowl and add egg yolks, salt, oil, and beer. Stir batter until thoroughly mixed. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours or as long as 24 - the longer the better, to a point. Just before using batter, stir it well again. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gently fold egg whites into batter. Good for about 6 fish fillets, depending upon their size. Fry in oil at 360 to 375 F.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
This is the recipe my brother in law gave me. It is excellent for walleye and simple. He fries his walleye in a turkey fryer, works quite well.

"I usually buy shore lunch. I use the beer batter mix. but I take and whip up an egg or two and add milk along with the beer.
Make sure your grease is hot before you start to fry so it stays crispy."

Good eating!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
these are awesome.

my favorite is walleye or perch - deep fired in peanut oil either in a pan or fryer.

breading:

ritz crackers, crumbled fine
yellow corn meal
corn starch
white pepper
parsley
cyan pepper
seasoned salt
dark beer for dredging

mix all dry ingredients in a ziplock bag
take fillets and wet them in the dark beer
bread the fillets twice, makes a nice crust
deep fry until golden brown

serve with wild rice or fried potatoes and a nice garden salad

the best part is the leftover cooked fillets make an awesome fish sandwich with tarter sauce the next day out on the water!
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts