Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new pair of gloves for the upcoming hardwater season and I'd like to know the consensus on what's the best out there. My hands get cold easily. I would like the gloves to be flexible enough so that I don't have to take them off to put up the hut.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Okay, a few questions.

What kind of gloves have you worn in the past?

What's your 'dream glove'?

You'd mentioned that you wanted something you can wear while setting up your ice house. What kind of ice house do you have (cube, cabin, or flipover) and how involved is setup for you (setting up anchors, snapping up tent poles, etc)? Most snap-up types of tent poles can generally be pulled up without too much finger dexterity, but it's the collapsing at the end of the day that tests gloves. If you use anchors, that's a pill because you can get gloves wet just working on that. But, anchors also keep the ice house from turning into a barely identified nearly flying object when it gets windy.

I have Ice Armor gloves and am planning on picking up a set of the new 'Ladies' Ice Armor gloves. Quite decent, but probably not the 'absolutely' warmest thing out there. I actually take several sets with me, and will usually start the day, if it's dry, with a pair of Windstopper glove - they're fleece and not waterproof, but they are windproof. If it's wet, I start with Ice Armor gloves. Columbia, North Face, and other brands do a windstopper type glove usually in the $20-$30 range. If you can find them, the North Face Apex softshell gloves are windproof and very water resistant and have a great grippy palm. Very nice. About $40 at REI online.

I have some 'flipover' mitts that are also Windstopper - they are made by Chota Outdoors, and were designed as a winter tailwater fishing glove - the 'fingers' go down to last knuckle on your fingers - keeps fingertips free to tie knots and whatever.

My 'end of day' gloves are my Scott USA ski gloves that have pockets in the backs of the hands to keep hand warmers in. I start the handwarmers about mid-afternoon so they'll be nice and warm by the end of the day for the slog back to shore. Usually by then I've gotten at least one pair wet, usually more than that. Picked these up at Sports Authority in the ski section a few years back - less than $35 if I remember correctly.

There has been a lot of discussion about the value of neoprene gloves. One tip - most neoprene 'fishing gloves' come with at least one 'split' thumb and finger, sometimes 2 fingers - for tying knots, baiting, etc. However, with the spit fingers, guess what - you get your hand wet, and your fingers stay wet, and the inside of the glove gets wet. Ugh. Tip: call your local diver's supply and see if you can pick up some regular, non-split fingered light, waterproof neoprene gloves. Some people like the Chota neoprene paddlers gloves used for kayaking, but the finger dexterity isn't the best - will have to slip at least one off for knot tying, etc.

Another suggestion: if your hands get cold on the way out to fishing and on the trip back in, consider getting some big, water and windproof snowmobile mitts. Ice Armor makes a nice one. If your fingers are together, your hands tend to stay warmer. And I have to say, those things are TOASTY without handwarmers. Yeah, big goofy mittens, but they do the job! If I remember correctly, the Ice Armor X series ones have a pocket for those chemical handwarmers... might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have the X series mittens, they do have the zippered pocket for hand warmers. They are very warm and I can maneuver the cube and such with them. The gloves might offer better dexterity, but like FishinGal said, having the fingers together makes a big difference on some of the South Park mornings.

My favs are felted icelandic wool mittens the wife made for me. With a regular glove insert they're as warm or warmer than the Ice Armor ones, and I can plop the mittens off and have good dexterity with some protection.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
GREAT QUESTION!!

Personally I use the ones that came FREE with my Arctic Armor... Though I highly doubt they are even close to being the best!!

Here is what they look like:

They Def. ALWAYS have kept m hands warm... When i had them on :)

I have a hard time wearing gloves while ice fishing so i tend to just wear them in the morning when it is really cold and i have to pull my hut around... or anytime I pull my hut around for that matter.

Then typically during the day i will just fish without gloves unless my hands get really cold.

The worst thing about the Arctic Armor gloves is that they can get wet on the outside and freeze solid!! My hands would never get cold or wet.. but the gloves would freeze around the rope that I use to pull my hut with.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Old school chopper mittens, I use a heat gun to completely saturate them with snow seal.
Just add your favorite style liners.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
dropshot said:
Old school chopper mittens, I use a heat gun to completely saturate them with snow seal.
Just add your favorite style liners.
X2

I use those olive drab wool liners from the Army Surplus store. The chopper mittens are my back up and never fail when my hands get cold. They are great with those "tea bag" heaters. :)

Lo-tech, and the price is right.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I was at TJ Maxx last night...killer deals on some gangsta gloves!!!! Some pretty high end ones for 2/3 the price. I was at the one on 1st and Wadsworth. Tons of jackets, pants, under armor, etc. too.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
da_teacher said:
I was at TJ Maxx last night...killer deals on some gangsta gloves!!!! Some pretty high end ones for 2/3 the price. I was at the one on 1st and Wadsworth. Tons of jackets, pants, under armor, etc. too.
Really? You're not just saying that to sit outside with popcorn to see how many fools show up with vexilar stickers on their 4runner? I know I'll be one.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Slimer said:
da_teacher said:
Really? You're not just saying that to sit outside with popcorn to see how many fools show up with vexilar stickers on their 4runner? I know I'll be one.
Cereal dude!!! I bought a pair of Scott gloves last night for 15$. Waterproof, windproof, teflon (LOL)....thinner pair but really warm. They'll be perfect for when it's not -20 and you want to feel the lighter strikes. They'll be good for winter golfing too! LOL I'll post a pic later.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the answers - and sorry for just getting back to this thread. Lot's of stuff going on these days that has kept me off the board.

Looks like the Ice Armor gets the most votes so I'll have to track down a pair of those soon. I like the sound of 'soon' when talking about hardwater!

Thanks for the long reply Nancy but I have 3 huts and fish in various conditions. I had frostbite back in the 70's when I lived in Alaska and it stings sooner than most people, hence the question. I'll probably oversize the Ice Armor gloves and have a heavy liner glove for taking down the hut/poles.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Guess I can actually contribute. hehe...

I got some arctic thermal or something brand from the army surplus store on Pecos and 36 the past 2 years, they work great. Only had to buy new ones cause I lost one of my older ones. They're yellow and black, waterproof and rated pretty good. They're I think $25 and can't be beat. But I definitely want a pair of arctic armor mittens this year so that I have enough room for some hand warmers down in there.

Rob

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
_colorado said:
Looks like the Ice Armor gets the most votes so I'll have to track down a pair of those soon. I like the sound of 'soon' when talking about hardwater!

I'll probably oversize the Ice Armor gloves and have a heavy liner glove for taking down the hut/poles.
gander mtn last year had a reallygood selesction of ice armor stuff and the gloves are pretty roomy so i wouldnt go oversize, the fingered gloves worked pretty well for me for setting up and taking down without having to take em off too much.. and somedays no matter what glove you have on that wind and cold just seem to get to ya a bit more..

·
Registered
701 Posts
I may be the exception but, my ice armor gloves are par at best. They definately soak up water and once water has been soaked, they are not the same the rest of the day. I'm sure that there is a pair of $ 100.00 gloves that work sweet when icing. I've worked out a pretty decent system for my modest buget. I always keep three pairs of gloves with me at all times. One pair stays in the pack for emergencies, one pair is on my hands, and one pair is tucked away in the front of my bibs. When the gloves that I am wearing become uncomfortably cold, I'll switch the cold ones with the pair that has been tucked away for a definate warm up. I then repeat roughly five times a day.

I like the IA gloves because they are light and dextrose. I feel that the material that they are made of takes on too much agua. I end up dealing with my inferior gloves by recycling.

I can't wait to smell the exhaust of my auger!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
fishmanlee said:
I may be the exception but, my ice armor gloves are par at best. They definately soak up water and once water has been soaked, they are not the same the rest of the day.
I'm not a fan of Ice Armor gloves, either. The fabric is not all that tough, particularly the fingers and the seams around the fingertips. The best gloves I ever had were some old orange waterproof gloves from Cabela's. Wore like iron. I must have had those for 10 years.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
i like to use light gloves and bring extra pairs ( a habit I learned from years of winter const. work), I just try to make sure they are heavy enough to grab a mack by the mouth without getting bit too bad.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Check out these $70 mittens for $7.99! I generally fish without gloves but like to stick my hands in mittens once in a while to warm up after landing a fish or getting them wet.

Thanks to Clint for the heads-up on this bargain.

http://tinyurl.com/26xze4y

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Check out these $70 mittens for $7.99! I generally fish without gloves but like to stick my hands in mittens once in a while to warm up after landing a fish or getting them wet.

Thanks to Clint for the heads-up on this bargain.

http://tinyurl.com/26xze4y
Wow! Can't go wrong there, unless the backorder doesn't get filled until spring. I ordered two pair. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Ordered two pair this morning. Jeff tried and couldn't place an order. Now, they show as being sold out. Might have slipped in under the wire..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts