1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the rods I own, these are my favorite:
Shimano Expride spinning 7'2 MH
Shimano Zodias 7'3" ML

Both with Shimano Ci4 Stradic 3000 (extra spool depth for deep lakers in Mi on a drifting boat in a lake Superior current).

Light, sensitive, great bottom contact gear.

What about you?

·
Registered
413 Posts
The Phenix I built for carolina-rigging the Poudre is hands down the best setup I've ever fished. 7'6" XF blank, Fuji single-frame Ks. Reel don't matter much as long as it's a Shimano spooled with Berkely Transoptic.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
St. Croix Premier 7'ML paired with Sahara 3000. 6lb Nano. By far my favorite most versatile unit.

·
Registered
869 Posts
7'2" Shimano Compre medium power, extra fast action or
7'2" Shimano Cumara medium light power, fast action

Quantum Energy 30 (aka 3000) or Quantum PT 30 Smoke (too many 3000 size reels to mention)

Various weights PowerPro or Suffix 832 w/ Floroclear or Vanish leader

Entirely different set ups for float tubing or icing.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what?
Good point. I like my Shimano Expride/Zodias rods for casting tubes/small swimbaits/small spoons/jigs, lindy rigging etc. So for me it's general all around that involves lighter baits and often involves bottom contact. If you have a favorite for some other application it's nice to know what people really like and for what. I might have to try or get one.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Shimano all day.

Exsence Ci4 and Stradic Ci4 Spinning Reels.
Zodias and Expride Rods.

No need for any other brand...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hands down Shimano Stradic Ci4 paired with just about any St. Croix one piece rod. I own three St. Croix Legend Extremes (ML, M, MH) but I really prefer the Avid or Eyecon over them. Which has me asking myself: why did I buy three?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Spinning: Shakespeare Ugly Stick GX2 equipped with a Mitchell 300

Baitcasting: Shakespeare Ugly Stick GX2 equipped with a Zebco 33

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
To the OP... any reel from Shimano. I prefer the 2500 spinning reel for most CO applications.
Most rods from Shimano are good. Better with each price step IMO.
A lot of Cabelas higher end rods are surprisingly good for the money.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
For what?
actually whatever is your favorite is prolly the one you use the most. The answer will tell a lot about your angling style. Kind of a psychological question-:-*

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have really been enjoying my curado dc. I like my loomis rods and they are all older except my light glx which was super sensitive before I broke it. Stradic ci4 has been nice I appreciate its lightness at the end of the day. Shimano spin reels over the years have treated me well they just don’t stop working.

·
Registered
624 Posts
St. Croix Avid paired with a Shimano of any sort or a Pflueger Presidential. I know some people knock Pfluegers but I love them!

·
Registered
413 Posts
To the OP... any reel from Shimano. I prefer the 2500 spinning reel for most CO applications.

Most of Shimano's line is high quality, but in my opinion anything over $80-100 ain't worth it. I fished my Ci4 for about 2 weeks, then sold it and bought 3 Sedonas. At $65-$75, they're still more reel than most folks need.

Heck, the Sienna is one of the cheapest reels Shimano makes and I've been running them on my heavy rigs for years (since the old Sahara model was discontinued). If they can handle big channels and wipers, they should be good enough for about anything else we got.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts