Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Bwahaha- Yah I fish shore long b4 I had a boat. Sometimes a long cast made all the diff. Z is kinda scary in a boat just gotta keep eye on him. but Ill put my long casting skills with anyones-

I been driving 4 hrs to find ice. In fact Im driving 13 hrs to find ice this fridy-
Sounds like my kind of trip! New location or visiting an old hole?

· Registered
2,597 Posts
I had some cabelas cards burning a hole in the wallet and after seeing everyone's post I realized I was severely deficient in the quality rod/reel department.

Went to BPS to specifically load up with Slayer's combo (in hopes I eventually get an invite)....the St. Croix Premier paired with the Shimano Sahara

Well, I walked out with something different (but still crossing my fingers...). Picked up a 7' ML Fenwick HMX paired with a Daiwa Regal 2500.

· Registered
2,597 Posts
That should work. Diawa? Really?;D
Well, I left myself pretty vulnerable sharing the Regal information....

But honestly, it's a super smooth reel that I would not have looked at unless the staff member hadn't handed it to me to try (and I was able to add some nanofill with the savings).

I've had two Fenwick HMX's. Both broke, one trying to unsnag, the other simply casting. Their warranty sucks. My cheaper fenwick Eagle has held up to everything. I also had a Regal, inherited from my dad when he past. Damn smooth reel, 'til I dropped it into the depths of Jefferson off my toon.
Stinks about your HMX's. I too have one that I bought in 2003 and it has held up surprising well considering the travel abuse it receives.

One big difference between the old model and the new appears to be the single foot guide design (Seaguides?). Not sure if it makes a difference. Overall seems like a decent rod for $80

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Been excited about my new rigs as well. Really have loved the 7’ UL and find myself grabbing for that first. It actually holds some mid size fish nicely but it’s that chance at a hog 7-8lb+ that has me hesitant to go all in with it

Made a homemade rod holder I’m pretty pumped about too. My gear always took too much abuse in the bed of the truck, but no more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.