Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
417 Posts
The Phenix I built for carolina-rigging the Poudre is hands down the best setup I've ever fished. 7'6" XF blank, Fuji single-frame Ks. Reel don't matter much as long as it's a Shimano spooled with Berkely Transoptic.

· Registered
417 Posts
To the OP... any reel from Shimano. I prefer the 2500 spinning reel for most CO applications.

Most of Shimano's line is high quality, but in my opinion anything over $80-100 ain't worth it. I fished my Ci4 for about 2 weeks, then sold it and bought 3 Sedonas. At $65-$75, they're still more reel than most folks need.

Heck, the Sienna is one of the cheapest reels Shimano makes and I've been running them on my heavy rigs for years (since the old Sahara model was discontinued). If they can handle big channels and wipers, they should be good enough for about anything else we got.

· Registered
417 Posts
I'm the opposite. I think Shimanos below $100 aren't much better than reels from other companies. In my opinion, the best thing about Shimano spinning reels is line management, and you don't get that until you get into higher priced Shimanos.

Guess we're both in good shape then, you can keep getting the expensive ones with the fancy "line management", I'll keep buying the cheap ones, and we won't be cutting into each other's supply! ;D

Guess that's why they make 15 models: there's a reel for every fisherman.

· Registered
417 Posts
Ain't about price or fanciness. I just don't see the advantage of a Shimano at a lower price vs a Pflueger at similar price point. The President is a solid reel for the money. After 15 years or so, my Pflueger Medalists perform much better than my Saharas. They are smoother and quieter. I think you are paying for a name more than anything else in the lower priced Shimanos.

I'd argue for days with most other folks, but your reputation precedes you. Guess I have a topic for a new video come spring: Shimano vs. Pflueger head to head. Maybe I'll change my mind ;D

· Registered
417 Posts
15 years?

4-5 years of ripping metal and my Shimanos are turned into ice fishing reels or trash.

I don't baby my stuff either, but I estimate I have at least 6 Shimanos over 6 years old which still work as well as ever. I will admit they've all had at least one tear-down in that time, though.

I've only had to retire 2; one broke a handle which isn't available anymore and I didn't like the fit of handles from other models. There was also a bad run of Sedonas a few years back where the bail would stop the line short of the bail spool and fray the line. I keep 'em both for parts, but never need 'em.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.