Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 156 Posts

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Next is a Phenix UMBX 7'6" mh. This has a curado K on it. This is just one of those rods that seems to do anything. Ultra sensitive, very nice taper, light,fast, but not so fast you can't get the distance casting you want. Such a great do everything rod.
We obviously have different fishing habits. An everything rod to is is medium power... I don't chase fish that big or throw lures that heavy on a regular basis. :D

Love me a sedona for spinning action, and I use even the cheapest spinning reel with a dry carbontex drag disc on the ice, it runs the same at -15f as it does at 30f, unlike the stock greased drag.
All my ice fishing reels are cheap reels. In fact, all my ice fishing gear is cheap gear. I would hate to see something expensive going down the ice hole.

It is strong, practical, and has a focus on function over form... kinda like its owner, haha.
Ain't nothing wrong with that. "Strong, practical, and has a focus on function over form" are relative concepts...

· Registered
3,945 Posts
For those of you who love cheap Shimano reels:
https://www.landbigfish.com/Shimano/Shimano-AX-FB-Spinning-Reels

Curado rods for $112:
https://www.landbigfish.com/Shimano/Shimano-Curado-Spinning-Rods

Exage rods for $70:
https://www.landbigfish.com/Shimano/Shimano-Exage-Spinning-Rod

Curado baitcasting reels fro $130:
https://www.landbigfish.com/Shimano/Shimano-Curado-70-Series-Baitcasting-Reels

Lost of Shimano and G Loomis deals:
https://www.landbigfish.com/specials/

They just didn't have the deals I was looking for... It seems no one has storewide deals on Shimano ang Loomis anymore...

· Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
It took me forever to finally buy a Loomis rod. Like many, I always thought they weren't worth the money...
I haven't bought one, yet! I have been toying with the idea of getting an NRX.... Should it be casting or spinning? I am a novice caster, but I fish a bunch of heavier baits that probably belong on a casting rod. I want to get proficient.

Another question, probably best for another thread, but I just spooled up two rods with 10 lb Super Slick V2, I haven't fished with it, but it seems every bit as good as 6-8 lb nanofil I have been using. Any one using it?

· Registered
24,883 Posts
Gary Loomis Black Widow Edge 7-0 Medium Fast (it was a gift way out of my price range)
paired with a 30 Pflueger Patriarch XT Spinning Reel...with my helderly (old) wrists the rig is light as a helium balloon and I can fish with it all day and night and the reel has been abused going on 5 years still works like new...wish they made a 25 maybe they do now cuz I could replace the reel on the next combo...

Next up a St Croix Xtreme Legend 7-0 ML Xtra Fast paired with a Shimano 2500 ci4 for jigging...

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I haven't bought one, yet! I have been toying with the idea of getting an NRX.... Should it be casting or spinning? I am a novice caster, but I fish a bunch of heavier baits that probably belong on a casting rod. I want to get proficient.

Another question, probably best for another thread, but I just spooled up two rods with 10 lb Super Slick V2, I haven't fished with it, but it seems every bit as good as 6-8 lb nanofil I have been using. Any one using it?
The first NRX I bought was for my father in law. He was so excited about the rod that I bought myself one too. Most people would say that the NRX is the top choice for lightness and sensitivity. Personally, I feel the same about the G Loomis line as I do about the Shimano line: the top models are where you really get to appreciate what the brand has to offer. The GLX and NRX are worth the price. The IMX and the cheaper rods are not much better than what you might get from another brand. As far as casting vs spinning, I think it's mostly a personal choice. I have a couple of baitcasting combos, but I hardly ever use them. I grew up using spinning reels and never quite adapted to baitcasters. I just swicth from medium to medium heavy when I throw bigger lures. I tried, but never sold into large swimbaits, so I really don't need to use heavy rods. With that said, when I experimented with swimbaits, I did prefer baitcasting rods. You can use your body as a point of leverage to impart motion on the rod/lure by holding the rod along your forearm and resting the butt of the rod on the side of your body. It's harder to do that with a spinning rod.

I spooled two of my reels with Powerpro Super Slick V2 last year. I haven't noticed a significant difference compared to the regular Power Pro. I heard or read somewhere that the slicker lines would cause less abrasion to rod guides. I don't know if that's true, but I bought the Super Slick V2 to be used with my 2 NRX rods. Those rods have titanium guides on the top section of the rod, with no guide inserts. I was worried that regular braided line would damage those guides. Here is a good review of the Super Slick V2: https://youtu.be/A3WpDtdga8k
The video demonstrates that the Super Slick V2 is more abrasion resistant than the Daiwa super line.

· Registered
1,510 Posts
Curado 301DSV paired with an Okuma Guide Select 7’11” H swimbait rod.

Both have over a decade of use but they keep doing their job - launching big baits into gnarly places and getting straight medieval on the fish that hit the baits.

· Registered
4,885 Posts
I wanted to make sure I was going to buy my latest setup before posting it. So, this will be my new lake setup.

Fenwick HMG 7'6" ML 1pcs. (barely fits in my Jeep Wrangler)

Shimano Stradic FL 2500

Power Pro Super Slick V2

The longer rod because I just fish from shore and it will give me a little more distance.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
I wanted to make sure I was going to buy my latest setup before posting it. So, this will be my new lake setup.

Shimano Stradic FL 2500

Power Pro Super Slick V2

The longer rod because I just fish from shore and it will give me a little more distance.

Nice set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
17,068 Posts

Shimano Stradic FL 2500

Power Pro Super Slick V2

You told me you don't" DO" lakes they're too boring-:confused:

7-6 is kinda long hits the trees. You will get more distance with Nano.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Curado 301DSV paired with an Okuma Guide Select 7’11” H swimbait rod.
A FishDR sighting! :eek:

Both have over a decade of use but they keep doing their job - launching big baits into gnarly places and getting straight medieval on the fish that hit the baits.
It doesn't get more medieval than yanking respectable walleyes and bass out of the water as though they are 10" fish. ;D

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I never tried the Nanofil. The extra distance wouldn't be worth it for me, given my propensity to fish around rocks... But I must admit that I am losing much less line now that I fish almost exclusively from the boat. I only had to re-spool one reel this year. Some noobs in another boat snagged my line. I didn't even curse them out. I have always been a forgiver, but now am also turning into a pacifist. ;D

· Registered
4,885 Posts
You told me you don't" DO" lakes they're too boring-:confused:

Lakes are boring to me but so are rivers when you can' wade anymore.

Of course, with me. Nothing is set in stone. ;D

Hell, I might just fish Wrights Lake with a flyrod/flies like the rest of the old farts there. That might be more fun then slinging hardware with a spin rod on bigger lakes. The big lakes would be more fun if I had a boat but that won't happen.

41 - 60 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.