Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

· Registered
3,945 Posts
R&D guys gotta eat, too.
It's more like the fishing line companies figured out that, in life, whether it be fishing or other pursuits, it's all about measuring. And peeps will pay for it. "Cogito ergo sum" (I think, therefore I am), should have been "exsero ergo sum" (I protrude, therefore I am). :D

· Registered
3,945 Posts
They're pretty cheap compared to a silk line for a fly rod.
Well, fly snobs are more into measuring than most... :p

Anyhoo, I won't be attending this grand scientific experiment, or casting competition. Will be in San Diego. In the old days, I might have brought a surf rod with me and attempt solo casting record...

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I am glad I didn't buy any fishing gear during the Black Friday season. I couldn't find a good sale on Shimano products back then. I found a 25% off deal last week, and bought an Expride and Stradic Ci4. The Expride came to $195 with the discount. It's no NRX, but it's comparable to my St Croix Legend Elite. It's a good value at $195, even at $260 for the full retail price.

I got the 6'8" medium, extra fast. I wanted the 7' medium, fast, but they didn't have it in stock. I had read somewhere that the 6'8" extra fast was really more like a fast action rod. I compared it to my St Croix Legend and it's curve is very similar to the Legend. It's definitely not as fast as the NRX. That works for me because I wanted a jerkbait rod (not too fast). The semi-micro guides mean that's it's a fair weather rod only. That's OK because my days of fishing in freezing temperatures are gone.

Attachments

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Been excited about my new rigs as well. Really have loved the 7’ UL and find myself grabbing for that first. It actually holds some mid size fish nicely but it’s that chance at a hog 7-8lb+ that has me hesitant to go all in with it

Made a homemade rod holder I’m pretty pumped about too. My gear always took too much abuse in the bed of the truck, but no more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Made a homemade rod holder I’m pretty pumped about too. My gear always took too much abuse in the bed of the truck, but no more!
:cool:

I don't use anything lighter than medium light, but I would guess that, with enough line on your reel and light setting on your drag, UL would be fine for those 7-8 pounders.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
I found a 25% off deal last week, and bought an Expride and Stradic Ci4. The Expride came to $195 with the discount. It's no NRX, but it's comparable to my St Croix Legend Elite. It's a good value at $195, even at $260 for the full retail price. It's definitely not as fast as the NRX. That works for me because I wanted a jerkbait rod (not too fast). .
Holy ****, coming from you with this review, now I have to buy an NRX, no questions.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Holy ****, coming from you with this review, now I have to buy an NRX, no questions.
I have bought all of my NRX at 30% off (brand new). Getting a $500 rod for $350 is a good deal because G Loomis rods normally don't go on sale. I'm not supposed to post the deal online, but I'll PM you. I'm not affiliated with any vendors or manufacturers. I'm guessing people who have affiliations with such entities get better deals.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.