Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody had specific gear that they came across and now they swear by it. Im not necessarily picky in particular as long as it serves its purpose but id be interested to hear everybody else's opinions. my ice gear isnt with me, since ive registered on this website 3 days ago ive been itchin' to talk about fishin.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Depends on what you're fishing for, I guess... Is this an ice fishing question?

If not an ice fishing question:

On the *****-sized fish I usually catch, I dig 6 lb spider mono, long-shanked panfish hooks, and thill stick floats.

I'm rigged up on my big rods for the giant blues on the Tennessee River with braid and heavy mono leader.

But I don't catch big fish, so those rods are useless.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Non ice: spinning or trolling: G-Loomis, and St. Croix rods, Shimano spin reels, Ambassadeur baitcaster's.

Braid on the trolling rigs, good ole Stren on the spin gear.

Fly gear is a whole other category.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Plfueger president is one of my go to reels because of its affordability and performance. Power pro is my line of choice, other than that I use 8lb trilene.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Reels- I have been a Shimano and Penn guy for over 30 years, but recently bought a few Quantum Smoke and Pflueger Purist reels and like them for certain applications.

As for as rods go, I tend to be on the cheaper side. The big thing to me with a rod is the sensitivity. Started using Shimano, but this past year used Berkeley Amp and Bass Pro Tourney specials with good results up until it got real cold. Snapped a rod tip on a snag....

Line varies for me from application to application, but used Hydralux a lot this fall and liked it for the rivers.

As for ice-fishing.....I lost my fishing partner a few years back and lost my interest as well so my gear is old and dusty-LMAO

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I picked up a LEWS bait caster this year Less then $80.00. Its light and works fine for Pueblo and 11 Mile. Its replaced my Ambassadeur C4's and Plueger Trion.
I'm perfectly happy with Shimano Sahara's for spinning.

·
Registered
215 Posts
For rods, I am a St Croix junkie. Never saw a St Croix I didn't like! for spinning reels, I like Pflueger, they have been bullet proof for me so far! For casting reels, I am an Abu Garcia fan, like the Orra series as well as the c4 ambassadors.

Eagle claw makes a really good spinning ice rod, with the largest guides I have ever seen! Never ever had a problem with the guides icing up on them!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Skeet next gen Pro Carbon rods and reels are in.. super light, great action, double trigger on the bait casting rods.. Tony, agreed the Heavy Cover has a good set of balls on it.. I throw my big hairy rat on it..

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I dont really swear by anything.... I just buy what i can afford LOL I am sure I would love some of the top end stuff out there but.....

Pflueger has been good to me though.... for the price you really cant go wrong!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
For spinning reels I've always liked Shimano. I love ugly stick rods, too. My main ice rod is an ugly stick- it's sick and its perfect as an all-around setup. For lures whether it's through the ice or not, kastmasters can be hard to beat. If I was to swear
By anything though, it'd probably be a fly rod.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
ZEBCO!!!
202 and 33 are my fav's

·
Registered
724 Posts
Skeet next gen Pro Carbon rods and reels are in.. super light, great action, double trigger on the bait casting rods.. Tony, agreed the Heavy Cover has a good set of balls on it.. I throw my big hairy rat on it..
Hammer-let's keep it clean here. Nobody wants to hear about, or see your big hairy rat!!!
Continue on now...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I asked because Ive always bought my gear from the cheaper end of the spectrum except fly rods. a cheap fly rod is disgusting (even though thats all i have right now:lol:) But does it make a huge difference? I do spend a little more on line, but i havent paid more than 50 bucks on a rod and reel both(spare the stop being cheap talk, i know im cheap and it wont work lol)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts