Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
i dont really fish them, but my buddy was tearin em up on chatfield with one, i guess u need the right colors, he said it imitates a craydad color. out fished my plastics, but i cought bigger ones....

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have found that if my jerk baits aren't working at elevenmile the spinnerbait bite is on. I have had some success but there is a few tricks to make them work for me. First it has to be a black or blue spinnerbait in a 1 oz size. The size is really inportant for me. Second I put on a trailer that is the same color as the crawdads that inhabit Elevenmile. It's like a blueish purple. Third I don't fish out in open water like the inlet I fish right up close to rocks like I am bass fishing. Places I would hit would be around all the island's, east bay. I Have caught pike up to 15 pounds on spinnerbaits.

P.S. Oh yeah I lost the biggest pike I have ever seen in elevenmile on a spinnerbait. I won't even bother telling you guys how big it was you wouldn't believe me anyways

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
i must be doing something wrong, every time i cast one of these damn spinner baits in the wind they just start twirling around and go like 20 feet out,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I only use Mepps Spinners #4's and #5's...I have caught bass all over the country using Mepps. I have had really good luck catching bass here in Colorado with the lure. I have caught small mouth / large mouth bass, pan fish and pike on these lures.

I find that the silver blade #5 Bucktail (the skirt) is a KILLER when it comes to bass, all sizes and...all season long! I recently tried a #5 silver blade with a rainbow trout pattern for pike, caught 3 that day.

Good luck and HOOKEM!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mepps in-lines are just a great all around searching lure. I tie my own trebles and found that by adding some silver/red flashabou it prvides for some ferocious strikes. My favorite spinnerbaits are the smaller Strike King Bleeding bait mini-king and the Terminator Tiny-T. Tied up some mepps style #5's for my trip to Canada so we'll see what the trip hold for the new breed I came up with.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts