Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been a flooded wood bite mostly this spring! But I noticed last week that walleye are starting to show up on deep humps. Especially the deep sloping side that dumps into the channel.

I used to be a Shad Rap, Tail Dancer and Little Ripper guy and I still have trays full of them. But this year I have been trolling mostly Flicker SHads and Flicker Minnows. They work great and dive exactly as deep as they as they are supposed to. And they only cost 3.99 each8) I am so sold I just bought another 100 for my business.

Anyway I went out for a few hours Friday evening to beat the weekend crowds and found a lot of fish from 18-22 feet deep on those sloping sides. I caught few nice fat fish and lost what I think was a big Wiper? By August they should be suspending a lot in the basins with the Shad also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like the flicker shad a lot also. Some of my friends swear by the Salmo Hornets, but they do cost more. Anyone have good results with them?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I like the flicker shad a lot also. Some of my friends swear by the Salmo Hornets, but they do cost more. Anyone have good results with them?
Got a few in my tackle box but never gave them much time. Some folks swear by them on Wallecentral.

Cheap is sweet-
Cheap is good. I'm re-evaluating my tackle box. Thinking about stocking more cheap lures again. There are a couple of more expensive lures that I use in specific ways, but they don't catch me more fish, except in those specific applications.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hornets are good also! Especially now that the water is so warm!

I had been doing well at Pueblo running Flicker Shads over the tops of the flooded brush. But I lost over 20 baits?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hornets are good also! Especially now that the water is so warm!

I had been doing well at Pueblo running Flicker Shads over the tops of the flooded brush. But I lost over 20 baits?

Yea I have donated many to lake Mac the last couple of years.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Trout love them also!!!!
So do crappie and catfish!!!! Especially in the 7mm size.

Been a good all around lure this year for trolling at slow speeds and they run straight without any damn tuning.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So do crappie and catfish!!!! Especially in the 7mm size.

Been a good all around lure this year for trolling at slow speeds and they run straight without any damn tuning.
That is what I use the #7 size. I am using the #9 size in the Flicker Minnow. Use can get them down deep quite easily! No leadcore needed for the 9s down to 22'. That is with 10 lb XT.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Neal, I have trolled the Flicker Shads almost exclusively for the last 3 years. I have had very very few issues with them and found them to be durable, cost effective, and fish catching lures! This season I added the Flicker Minnows as well and have varied success so far with them. 8 days ago, I had really good luck trolling them in a minnow forage based local lake, and did really well. This past weekend in the same lake, nothing at all on them. I attribute that more to the conditions though than the Flicker Minnows. Has anyone ever trolled any of the Rapala scatter series, either shad or minnows?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I caught a few on the Flicker Minnows deep at Big Mac. I really like the Purple/chrome and Blue/chrome Alewife colors!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Flickers have been my go to lure as well this year for eyes, yeah lose a few but for the money they cant be beat. Heard good things about rapala taildancers, but a little more money and why change what works? Both the shads and minnows have produced many walleye dinners for me this year, I just change the hooks since I have had em open up and some clean break on me.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Flickers have been my go to lure as well this year for eyes, yeah lose a few but for the money they cant be beat. Heard good things about rapala taildancers, but a little more money and why change what works? Both the shads and minnows have produced many walleye dinners for me this year, I just change the hooks since I have had em open up and some clean break on me.
Taildancers work better in the summer and fall, "at least for me". They have that wide tail kick! Very aggressive action!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Taildancers work better in the summer and fall, "at least for me". They have that wide tail kick! Very aggressive action!
I've used them this year as well, but so far I'd say the Flicker Shad is the better overall choice.

That is what I use the #7 size. I am using the #9 size in the Flicker Minnow. Use can get them down deep quite easily! No leadcore needed for the 9s down to 22'. That is with 10 lb XT.
I found a few of those and found a few #9 Flicker Shad that with a little munipulation I can get down in that 22' range.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've used them this year as well, but so far I'd say the Flicker Shad is the better overall choice.

I found a few of those and found a few #9 Flicker Shad that with a little munipulation I can get down in that 22' range.
If you hold them side by side the #9 Shad and the #9 Minnow have the pretty much the same bill. But I think the #9 minnow dives a lot deeper due to it's slender body?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts