Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious for those hardcore trout fisherman....

We are heading up to do some hiking and fishing in one of the wilderness areas for dads day weekend and I was wondering.... If you could bring only one lure to use what would it be, what size and what color for the higher elevation remote lakes?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
I LOVE the Z RAY it works for me at, PINE WOOD RES, ETC. :)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I usually use 1/4 for size. Depending on what lake, fishing pressure, size of fish in lake, I may even go smaller. If I could bring one color, it would be gold, or silver. As for the lure. My favorites are, Tasmanion Devils, Thomas Bouyants, Little Cleos, and Super Dupers.
However, my advice to you is this. Find the nearest fly shop for your destination. Call them and tell them when you'll be fishing there. Have them recomend 3 flys. Try fly and bobble. You'll have the most succses at remote lakes that way.

·
Registered
391 Posts
For the alpine lakes my favorite lure is a roostertail in trout pattern.Bright bodys with gold blades.Small to medium size,i've caught a ton of cutts and brookies with them.

lyn

·
Banned
487 Posts
The panther martin spinner in size six is the best. Hot Orange, Gold, Silver, Chartreuse, or Black are your best colors.
Another great high country lure is the daredevle. Black and white seems best to me. Cast it out as far as you can, sink it deep, and retrieve it slowly but erratically, by letting it flutter and then starting the retrieve again. Lethal technique.
For finicky remote trout, worms are king. Also bring curly tail grubs, dry flies (mosquito and red ant are best), and pistol pete flies.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
The only lure you need is a Thomas Bouyant in gold,1/6 oz.This has worked in all high lakes in colo,wyo,and montana!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
roadkill --- good call on the line (the lighter the better). I haven't tried flourocarbon yet, but I need line on my ultra-light. I'll have to give it a shot. Is a certain brand better?

·
Banned
487 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
The only lure you need is a Thomas Bouyant in gold,1/6 oz.This has worked in all high lakes in colo,wyo,and montana!
Thomas buoyants do work good. As for fluorocarbon, it is good for very clear lakes. However it doesn't work with dry flies because it sinks. Try low vis mono for fly leader. Fluoro rocks for lures and bait though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts