Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyone else uses to catch wiper? I've always had godd success with minnows, worms and believe it or not chicken liver but noticed people using mussels when I went out to Union last year.

·
Registered
749 Posts
What size on the Kasty's

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I like bait dunkin mussells and crayfish tails, but nothing beats having a wiper slam an X-Rap.

Oh and weightless (Texas rigged) Gulp Minnow... When affective, makes for really interesting fishing too. You feel the thump followed by a screamin drag.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Countdown rapalas, big slab spoons (picked up some 3 ounce ocean fishing ones in Hawaii that look like shad and cant wait to try), shrimp, crawlers, leeches, huge minnows, and stocker Rainbow Trout when I can get them (ok kidding on the last one but a guy can dream)...Quint and the line from jaws puts it best...

it's not like goin' down the pond chasing blue-gills and tommy-cods.  This is a fish that can swallow a man whole.  A little shakin', a little tenderizing and down ya' go.
Ok maybe not a man whole but a whole lot of stockers...we call stockers wiper hotdogs because they slide right down...big bait big fish...end of story...

·
Registered
391 Posts
The 3 baits/lures that i have had most sucess with are kastmasters(slayer likes silver but i have done very good with holographic/gold),crawdad tails,and rat-l-traps.

lyn

·
Registered
93 Posts
How do you guys fish the crawdad tails? I would like to give 'em a try. Bounced off the bottom, dead drift, harnessed, drop shot, tipped on a jig...? I'm sure I'm forgeting some. Which bait shops carry them?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Rig them with a slip sinker.#4 hook with 12-24" leader,swivel,then 1/2oz egg sinker.Pull the tail from the body,take the shell off the tail,hook it up and wait for your pole to bend in half.Use only wild crawdads,I learned all this from a great fisherman who took the time to show this rookie how its done.

lyn

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
When using crawdad tails are you casting near the shorline or fishing deep. Is there a specific structure that the wipers relate too?

I want to try using crawdads at Aurora since there are ton's of them .

·
Registered
391 Posts
From my understanding,look for sandy bottom area,but this can vary from lake to lake.Expecially at night(which you cant do at Aurora)the wipers come in to shallow sandy areas to feed.I would say for Aurora to not cast out very far,but far enough that the fish cant see you or vice versa.I really want to get into one of those hogs this year.

lyn

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anybody have success with the Silver Buddy lures? I talked to some guys at a hunting/fishing expo from Oklahoma that bought all the Silver Buddy lures from this stand. They said they hammer the wipers/stripers in their state on them

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rig them with a slip sinker.#4 hook with 12-24" leader,swivel,then 1/2oz egg sinker.Pull the tail from the body,take the shell off the tail,hook it up and wait for your pole to bend in half.Use only wild crawdads,I learned all this from a great fisherman who took the time to show this rookie how its done.

lyn
HAVING TROUBLE FINDING CRAWDADS..... Can anyone tell me where to Buy /Catch them???
Vinny

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
HAVING TROUBLE FINDING CRAWDADS..... Can anyone tell me where to Buy /Catch them???
Vinny
Just buy raw shrimps or mussels. Bait stores have crawdads sometimes or you can catch them in most lakes around rip rap area, but it's not worth my time.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
One of the top baits for wipers in upper East Tennessee (where my Dad lived and fished) was chicken livers, even during the day time. I've only heard a couple of reports of people using them in CO, but I don't see why they wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Where's Hooknline? I would really like to hear his take on this.

My baits of choice are diverse and have mostly beenentioned already.

Here's my top ten( in particular order).

Chrome rattle trap

Leeches

Shiners or minnows or shad or alewives

White or chartreuse grub

Any smaller walk the dog lure

Pop r

Chicken liver

Little George

Any soft plastic minnow imitation

Kastmasters

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Where's Hooknline? I would really like to hear his take on this.

My baits of choice are diverse and have mostly beenentioned already.

Here's my top ten( in particular order).

Chrome rattle trap

Leeches

Shiners or minnows or shad or alewives

White or chartreuse grub

Any smaller walk the dog lure

Pop r

Chicken liver

Little George

Any soft plastic minnow imitation

Kastmasters
FRAT...

Any lure you can put in front of them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My favorites are:

Shad/Bluegill or any other live baitfish including crappie

Kastmasters

Bendable Spoons

3 Inch or bigger Curly Tails White or Chartreuse

White and Red Hair Jigs and other colors occasionally

and a newly found favorite Little Cleo's in Red/White work wonders in Oklahoma waters

1 - 20 of 29 Posts