Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done this before? I read on the internet that some people were using feeder gold fish instead of minnows for crappie and were doing excelent. Possible bright colors in stained water...

E

·
0 Posts
BE CAREFUL, bro!

These are ILLEGAL in MANY bodies of water!

Check your regs, as they are very specific about goldfish!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tried it at Boulder reservoir one spring and caught the biggest rainbows I have ever seen from that reservoir!
I had a hard time finding minnows to go walleye fishing, so I got some feeder goldfish. I went to the corner of the east dam where it meets the cove by the boat ramp. I threw out a slip bobber and feeder goldfish expecting to catch walleye, and I caught a half dozen rainbows in the 16-20 inch range. :eek:
Went back a week later, same spot, same bait, same stratagies, and caught one 8 inch yellow perch! ??? Go figure.

E

·
0 Posts
Not sure, but I'll bet if ePic doesn't know, he'll find out the minute he gats wind of this post! That dude knows his stuff! 8)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is what i found out of the DOW fishing guid book

MINNOW: Members of families of fish classified Cyprinidae (carp, chub, dace, goldfish, minnow,
shiner, stoneroller and tench) Cyprinodontidae (killifish, topminnow) and Clupeidae (gizzard shad)
except those designated as nongame, threatened or endangered.

and here is what they say about using minnows

(b) The only fish species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive or dead) by seining, netting, trapping or dipping are minnows (except in ?c? below), bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt. Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill and yellow perch. It is illegal to take, possess or harvest for private or commercial use as bait threatened or endangered species or species listed as nongame in wildlife regulations. See #5 and 6 below for a list of these species.

(c) The only species that can be taken for commercial use are: minnows (except those listed as threatened, endangered or prohibited); gizzard shad, white and longnose suckers (except those listed as threatened, endangered or prohibited); and carp (except those listed as threatened, endangered or prohibited).
See ?Nongame Species.?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i forgot, these are the prohibited species.

7. PROHIBITED SPECIES: The following species or their viable eggs are detrimental to other fish and their habitat in Colorado. Unless authorized in writing by DOW for controlled and experimental purposes only, it is illegal to export, import, transport, stock, sell, acquire and possess for release any of
these species: piranha; trahira; gar (all species); snakeheads or murrels; sticklebacks; walking catfish; tilapia; bighead carp; bowfins; silver carp; Indian carp, rudd, zebra mussels, quagga mussels, New Zealand mudsnail.

D

·
0 Posts
jeremycallahan is right-

Goldfish are classified by the regulations as a "minnow".  So they are legal in any body of water where "minnows" are legal. I haven't looked carefully, but I don't recall ever seeing goldfish specifically prohibited in a Colorado water when other minnows are legal in that water.

Where I grew up in Kansas, we used goldfish of all sizes from 1" to 6" for crappie, bass, channel cats and flatheads. Very effective!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
THey beat me to it, the question had been asked already in the forum I didnt know at that time but looked it up and posted the same that they posted above.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember the post but not the details. I was looking for it, but gave up after about 10 pages (out of the 23) so just decided to post again. Plus with lots more members, there could be more info.

Thanks all for the input, i am gonna give it a try. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Uncanny. I asked the very same question while fishing a week ago; so now I know.

May have to give goldfish a try one day.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ever been to a pond and caught a goldfish, itself? Way way back in the late 90's when I 1st learned to drive, we used to go try for crappie on a lake to the west of 104th and Sheridan. I think it was called Margret's Pond or some sort. Well anyway, we caught some huge 10 inch goldfish on worms and jigs which I thought was weird. They weren't frikkin koi either, they seemed like good ol' ugly common goldfish to me.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've caught huge goldfish to, thats the problem with introduced species if your going to use it as bait dont throw all the live extras in the lake when your done unless that lake has the fish species already in it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Back in the late 60's (giving my age out!) we used to catch some 10 inch goldfish in one of the Wash Park lakes on dough balls. We could actually see the schools of goldfish giving the water a gold tint. Typical goldfish with long tails.

·
Registered
53 Posts
T-Fin said:
Back in the late 60's (giving my age out!) we used to catch some 10 inch goldfish in one of the Wash Park lakes on dough balls. We could actually see the schools of goldfish giving the water a gold tint. Typical goldfish with long tails.
Carp? :p

E

·
0 Posts
"Goldfish are classified as a minnow"..

BE CAREFUL. I was told by a Park Ranger at Pueblo that goldfish were a no-no.

We couldn't get minnows anywhere becaue it was so early, so we bougth soem goldies, and we were made to kill them and dispose of them.

Something about introducing non-native species.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i would have told him they were native
and then told him what store you bought them at

i hope most of you do is carry the new book that comes out every year so when a nice dow officer comes and talk to you all you have to do is ask where in the book does it say that
i have used that a few time because there are a few new ones down this way that dont like me using perch as cut bait but all i do it take out my book and show them in a nice way that its ok and well they usualy still get mad but its in the rules that i can use them

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i can see where he is comming from.  After thinking about it hard and for a long time, i think i will just get regular minnows so i dont have to worry about it.  But, i wonder why they classify goldfish as minows.  And every lake surley cant hold fat heads, chubs, shinners ....  Couldnt someone potentially intorduce a non-native minnow on accident?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts