Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
THey beat me to it, the question had been asked already in the forum I didnt know at that time but looked it up and posted the same that they posted above.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
I've caught huge goldfish to, thats the problem with introduced species if your going to use it as bait dont throw all the live extras in the lake when your done unless that lake has the fish species already in it.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
EyeGuy said:
"Goldfish are classified as a minnow"..

BE CAREFUL. I was told by a Park Ranger at Pueblo that goldfish were a no-no.

We couldn't get minnows anywhere becaue it was so early, so we bougth soem goldies, and we were made to kill them and dispose of them.

Something about introducing non-native species.
I would have told that ranger to pay for them and then he could have them, according to the fishing rules guide any water you can use minnows on you can use goldfish since they are minnows.
Always carry the book with you and make them show you where it says something.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Is that anything like when my dad took my dog on a "Hunting Trip" with him and he ran away? :-\

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
myboysrmyheart said:
according to [email protected]

NO FEEDER GOLD FISH ARE NOT LEGAL BAIT FISH

See page 7 of fishing regulations

They state,

4. use and collection of bait fish:

(b) the only fish species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive or dead) by seining,netting,trapping,or dipping are minnows.
(except in "c" below bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, whit and longnose suckers, yellow perch, and rianbow smelt.

statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, and yellow perch:

It is illegal to take, possess or harvest for private or commercial use as bait threatened or endangered species or species listed as nongame regulations,  see #5and 6 below for a list of these species.

michelle kinseth

colorado division of wildlife

303-297-1192
Now if you look at the same regulations:
page 6 I believe
MINNOW: Members of families of fish classified Cyprinidae (carp, chub, dace, goldfish, minnow,
shiner, stoneroller and tench) Cyprinodontidae (killifish, topminnow) and Clupeidae (gizzard shad)
except those designated as nongame, threatened or endangered.
So basically she said No they arent legal and Yes they are legal in the email to you.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
That is so true. However if you have a copy of the regulations with you maybe the ranger will let you keep the goldfish instead of killing them and dispose of them before they left.
The only thing about that is the next time that same ranger checks you and you have goldfish they may not be so forgiving, it depends on cirrcumstance I guess.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Section 4 also says USE and collection. It however reads more for the use of bait you collected then the overall use of bait. Something about govt. regulations they have to read so they dont make that good of sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.