Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help selecting a new rod. With all of the options out there and little ability to test any of them I am hoping you guys might be able to help.

application - 1/2oz blade baits (ie lazer blades, thin fishers, heddons) cast out and retrieved, popping along the bottom.

From what I can tell these are the top poles for this application (please shoot this down if you don't agree). I say this because they are rated for up to 1/2oz, are XF, and probably the right length for this type of fishing.

Does anyone have any experience with these poles? Can anyone juxtapose these?

St Croix Avid AVS69MLXF 6'9" Medium Light Extra Fast $200

Fenwick Elite Walleye ETW69MLXFS 6'9" Medium Light Extra Fast $150

*is the Avid worth an extra $50?

I am also looking at these which are fast - will "fast'' make a huge difference for the blade bait technique? Or will I be able to get by with "fast" and have more of a universal pole good for crank's etc.? Also, will the longer length affect blades too much?

GLoomis Classic Spin Jig E6X902SSJR 7'6" Medium Fast $200
GLoomis IMX PR842S IMX 7' Medium light Fast $285

Finally, I have seen a lot about Dobyns and Powell poles - can anyone speak to these as good poles?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use a dobyns champ 702s for my smaller blades and love it. It's very sensitive and one of the best balanced rods I've fished. I have not used the avid or Fenwick so can't give feed back on them but am not a fan of xf action rods especially with treble hook baits. I havent fished the E6X bit have fished the imx series and think the dobyns is on par with it for sensitivity but balances much better. For 1/2 oz blades I'm gonna use casting gear and go up to a 3 power rod but still fast action.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I fish primarily for bass and prefer my gear on the heavy side so for me the 3 rods you mentioned would be too lite especially for 1/2oz baits but we all have are own styles and fish differently.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think the fenwick would be a great purchase as I feel they are a very under rated rod company. The one thing I will say is that their rod ratings are a little on the light side, and my hook up ratio is far better with a 6'8" MXF than they are with a ML, from my experience. So do they make that same rod in a M?

I own a lot of St. Croix rods, it feels good to support a US built rod and the Avid's are all built here except for some components.

We had a lot of the St. Croix Triumphs and Premiers in store and I had time to shake a lot of those rods. a 6'6" m would be a good buy for under $200 also.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Ny main rod is a GSX 40-ton 7ft. Medium . The ML works fine for 1/2 oz blades but when you start ripping a jigging rap you wont have the needed backbone. Or if you are doing blades at 30 ft deep-

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
My New (old) fave is a St Croix Premier Split Grip in Med in a 2 peice 6.5 ft..
Fast tip great for blades, Jigging raps, Jigs...
I've caught 3" Perch as well as 24lb Northerns on it...
Only about $130 so its a bit less $$$"s than the top line St Croix's...
Also run a 2 peice 6.5' St Croix EYECON .... Great Rod for $120...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nothing beats a Shimano Expride or Poison Adrena. But if price is the quandary; St. Croix makes a good rod.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i won a fenwick 7 ft. med light xt fast in a walleye tourney and love it i bought another in 7.5 and use both for the type of fishing as well as a lot more. imo they are worth the money

·
Registered
386 Posts
I love Fenwick HMG for the price they are hard to beat. I generally don't fish many baits over 1/4 oz. so naturally I use lighter models.
Best price with free delivery and no tax that I've found is Glen's Army Navy
http://www.glensoutdoors.com/
The last two 6'6" HMG's I bought were $59 each!!!!
Bill

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
13 Fishing Black Omen and some the Phenix rods (M1) are bomb diggity. I have both the Avid and an Omen and honestly, I reach for the Omen before I reach for the Avid (it's half the price as well).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts