Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
My dad makes a trip down to TX once every couple years to go kill those things and bring home a few for meat. Not a bad deal at all considering that the people down there want them gone. Farmers will often let you hunt their land to exterminate them. Win-Win.

"The state, which is estimated to have about 6,000 wild swine, now has a “shoot on sight order,” which means anyone with any type of hunting license can legally kill a feral pig. In July 2011, it will become legal for a person to shoot a hog that comes onto his property as well, she said."

Would be worth a drive down there for a few hundred pounds of meat :eek:

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
My dad makes a trip down to TX once every couple years to go kill those things and bring home a few for meat. Not a bad deal at all considering that the people down there want them gone. Farmers will often let you hunt their land to exterminate them. Win-Win.

"The state, which is estimated to have about 6,000 wild swine, now has a “shoot on sight order,” which means anyone with any type of hunting license can legally kill a feral pig. In July 2011, it will become legal for a person to shoot a hog that comes onto his property as well, she said."

I keep hearing about them in south east Colorado, and I'd make that drive to get a hog. When I lived in Texas, they were BBQing them over mesquite all the time, awesome meat!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rivrunnr1 said:

That sounds awesome!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Koldkut said:
Rivrunnr1 said:

I keep hearing about them in south east Colorado, and I'd make that drive to get a hog. When I lived in Texas, they were BBQing them over mesquite all the time, awesome meat!
Selfishly I find this exciting as I would love to have the opportunity to hunt them in CO. But from an environmental impact standpoint it would not be good at all.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i have a trip booked for late april to shoot pigs in OK.

there are some hogs in SE colo but so far they are not much of a problem, and all you need to hunt them is a small game licence, but that could change. i had a friend that killed 2 big ones out neer eads.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like it would be a terrestrial version of shooting carp with a bow.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
beadheadred said:
Captain America said:
Looks like it would be a terrestrial version of shooting carp with a bow.
pretty much, although carp can't really get after ya like an angry hog....
You got that right, just ask "ol' Yeller." I've seen javelina do and eat some gnarly stuff. My bro-in-law said he once shot a Russian Boar in CA with an arrow, only to have the boar reach its head back and bite the freakin arrow off.

They're tough animals, and they have my respect.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Just watched a special on discovery channel covering three states ( Fl, TX and HI) and the companys that get paid to came in and hunt pigs. Pretty cool watching the dogs take down the boars. The company in Texas #1 dog was a huge great dane that could handle boars between 300-400 lbs by himself one bad ass dog.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've never hunted hog before, but a freezer full of bacon sounds pretty good right now! Especially since the deer is almost gone and no elk this year.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
if you want bacon , go buy it at the market, it is much cheaper. wild hogs don't make good bacon anyway, they are to lean and if you have it made into bacon it will be around $15.00 per pound. my hunt in april will cost me $250.00 for one hog plus $110.00 for butchering. i am going to try for a 100-125 lb hog. that will butcher out to about 50lbs of meat. if i take a second hog it will be $150.00 more. now add in another $100.00 plus for travel and food. you do the math and see if it isn't cheeper to buy your pork at the market.

i might try for a second hog if i can get close enough to kill it with my pistol. that is real hard to do on a true wild hog. i try to get under 50 yds for a sure shot. i can shoot a 2 1/2 inch group on paper at 100 yds but game is much harder to hit where you want, for some reason they don't sit still like paper dose

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
this may be true in some cases but this outfit charges $150 for ea hog after the first at $250. this outfit also has a high fence aera where we will be shooting 2 coursican rams. we could bring the meat home and have it done in the springs at 85 cents per pound if we want sausage, bacon or ham it is a good bit more. then to have the heads boiled out here it is $185.00 ea. where down there they charge $100.00 ea and the meat is all cut and wraped for the freezer overnight. so when you leave for home the heads are ready for mounting and the meat is all done. i know there are some ranches in Tx. that will let you kill hogs for free, but they dont provide lodging and guides. and don't guarentee a shot.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
OK, had some friends go hog hunting over at a high fenced area near Durango, they sat in the tree all calm and quiet. they got suspicious and started making little noises and as the hogs didn't get spooked then raised the levels of their noise and the hogs were not affected at all....

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
that outfit has a bad rep. and the DOW shut them down for a year or two for their fence. as i understand it most of their hogs are farm raised then turned loose and called wild. the DOW keeps a close eye on them because they dont want the hogs to get out and start a wild herd over there

1 - 20 of 22 Posts